The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Filibustering in Robert's Rules?

Guest Chuck D.

Hi,

This is a post questioning Filibustering as being part of Robert's Rules of Order.

I could not quickly find where it is defined. As far as I thought, Filibustering is a rule from the Senate brought in st the end of the 1800's or begining or the 1900's.

It was used as an accepted Robert's Rules proceedure.....?

Thanks,

Chuck D.

Hi,

This is a post questioning Filibustering as being part of Robert's Rules of Order.

I could not quickly find where it is defined. As far as I thought, Filibustering is a rule from the Senate brought in st the end of the 1800's or begining or the 1900's.

It was used as an accepted Robert's Rules proceedure.....?

Thanks,

Chuck D.

If by a filibuster you mean that one member speaks indefinitely about irrelevant matters to obstruct the transaction of business, this is not possible under the rules, because 1) members are limited to ten minutes per speech, 2) members are limited to two speeches per day per question, and 3) remarks in debate must be germane to the question that is pending.

See RONR (10th ed.), §43, pp. 373ff.

Thank all of you for your quick response!

I will pass this on to the rest of my club, so we can follow proper proceedures.

Thanks,

Chuck D.

It should be noted, however, Senate rules, ending debate currently requires the affirmative vote of 60 members. Under RONR, that vote would be 2/3 of those present and voting.

-Bob

It should be noted, however, Senate rules, ending debate currently requires the affirmative vote of 60 members. Under RONR, that vote would be 2/3 of those present and voting.

-Bob

This is misleading, since cloture does not immediately close debate like the motion for the Previous Question. This is comparing apples and oranges.

Archived