The Official RONR Q & A Forums

quorum for organizational meeting

Guest Laurie Smetek

When you do not know how many people will be in the organization, the quorum is those in attendance. Twenty-five people are in attendance and vote on issues, after an important issue is determined fourteen of those people leave the meeting, the remaining eleven continue voting.

Since at this time they know they have at least 25 people in the organization do they need a majority of those (13) to continue voting? Or, can the remaining eleven finish voting on issues, as it is still an organizational meeting?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this. References would be great too.

Laurie

In a mass meeting, the quorum is simply the number of persons present at the time (page 334, lines 20 - 23).

As I see it, if those 14 people leave the meeting, it does not affect the quorum, because the group that is meeting is not formally organized, and as a result those persons who left are not formally part of the organization.

In addition to page 334, you may want to review the section on mass meetings starting on page 526, and in particular pages 528 - 529, where it talks about the membership of a mass meeting.

In a mass meeting, the quorum is simply the number of persons present at the time (page 334, lines 20 - 23).

As I see it, if those 14 people leave the meeting, it does not affect the quorum, because the group that is meeting is not formally organized, and as a result those persons who left are not formally part of the organization.

In addition to page 334, you may want to review the section on mass meetings starting on page 526, and in particular pages 528 - 529, where it talks about the membership of a mass meeting.

Thanks - this is what I needed.

Archived