The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conduct Unbecoming an Officer

Guest Demetria

We have a situation where a district officer installing a member, knowingly insulted the membership from the podium during installation. Nothing I can find in By-Laws addresses inappropriate conduct of an officer during a meeting in their official capacity. I was wondering what Robert's Rules had on that situation for a rememdy. Thank you so much.

We have a situation where a district officer installing a member, knowingly insulted the membership from the podium during installation. Nothing I can find in By-Laws addresses inappropriate conduct of an officer during a meeting in their official capacity. I was wondering what Robert's Rules had on that situation for a rememdy. Thank you so much.

Was the "district officer" a member of the group that was meeting?

We have a situation where a district officer installing a member, knowingly insulted the membership from the podium during installation.

Nothing I can find in By-Laws addresses inappropriate conduct of an officer during a meeting in their official capacity.

I was wondering what Robert's Rules had on that situation for a rememdy.

Yes, there is a remedy, in general, if a member violates a rule of the organization, or violates decorum.

But if the person who violated the rule is not a member, then your choices become significantly fewer.

• For "discipline," see RONR Chapter XX Section 61. This will apply to punishing members of the organization.

• For "censure," or "condemnation," an ordinary main motion would suffice. A resolution, with the preamble "whereas" clauses spelling out the justification, plus the concluding "resolved" clauses, expressing the will of the organization, can be adopted, and forwarded to the superior organization who monitors or disciplines your "violator" (here, your "district officer").

Archived