The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting on info items

jrice

We categorize our agendas as Consent, Business, and Informational Items. No Action is requested for Informational items, but if my Board wanted to take action, could they?

Why not? Any board member is free to make a motion that's relevant to the responsibilities and authority of the board.

But RONR has nothing to say about "informational items" so you're pretty much on your own.

We categorize our agendas as Consent, Business, and Informational Items.

No Action is requested for Informational items, but if my Board wanted to take action, could they?

Unknown.

RONR mentions "consent agendas" a.k.a. consent calendars.

RONR does not mention "business agendas" or "informational agendas".

So nothing can be said about them, except that they are your own unique creation.

Since you guys collectively made them up, then all of you will have to determine what they are, why you created them, and how to manage them.

We categorize our agendas as Consent, Business, and Informational Items. No Action is requested for Informational items, but if my Board wanted to take action, could they?

If the board meets frequently and goes through its order of business in one meeting of a few hours, then it is likely that it is bound by rule to follow the standard order of business or the established order of business adopted by the society, insofar as it is applicable. That should likely do away with the "CBI" scheme altogether. See RONR (10th ed.), §41, pp. 340ff, 469.

Archived