The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending or Rescinding Boards Action

RebeccaW

If our Executive Board makes a motion that passes to do something...anything...and the General Membership (who has final say) does not agree that the action per the motion should happen or happen in the way it was stated, I know they can make a motion to rescind or amend something previously adopted.

In our case, the board meeting is the week prior to the General Membership meeting. The General Membership first hears of these motions at their meeting one week later. If they wish to rescind or amend something previously adopted by the Executive Board and there has been no notice sent out, would the motion to rescind or amend require 2/3's majority or majority vote to pass. I looked at the official interpretations 2006-13and could not find the required vote necessary under these circumstances. I presume my answer in in Section 35 referred to in this interpretation, but where do I find Section 35?

If they wish to rescind or amend something previously adopted by the Executive Board and there has been no notice sent out, would the motion to rescind or amend require 2/3's majority or majority vote to pass.

A 2/3 vote of those who voted or a majority of the ENTIRE (General) Membership would be required (RONR pp. 295-296).

I looked at the official interpretations 2006-13and could not find the required vote necessary under these circumstances. I presume my answer in in Section 35 referred to in this interpretation, but where do I find Section 35?

RONR pp. 293-299.

Ooops, one more question after reading that section, there was a 3rd option, majority vote when notice has been given, it states could be given at a previous meeting (not in this circumstance) or in the call of the present meeting. When is during the call?

The "call" is the notice of the (special) meeting. Special meetings are sometimes referred to as "called" meetings, although notice is often sent for regular (scheduled) meetings as well. But the requirements for the notice of a special meeting must be followed, while notice of a regular meeting is (usually) optional.

If a committee is asked to be on the agenda for the upcoming meeting after the agenda has been sent and is refused to be added by the president; who can amend the agenda or make a motion to amend the agenda. Also, if the request to amend the agenda is denied by the president. What is the ext action to take?

L. Cloutier

PTA MEMBER

If a committee is asked to be on the agenda for the upcoming meeting after the agenda has been sent and is refused to be added by the president; who can amend the agenda or make a motion to amend the agenda. Also, if the request to amend the agenda is denied by the president. What is the next action to take?

See FAQ #14.

A ruling by the chair can be appealed.

(And, for future reference, it would be best to start a new topic for a new question.)

Archived