The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Order for candidates to speak at elections?

Guest Jeff Z

I have searched, but not found this in the forums.

We are having elections, and there are 3 candidates for one position. We allow candidates time to speak, or have others speak for them before the vote.

Is there a defined order that we should have candidates speak or is this not written anywhere? Thoughts, of course are alphabetically or by random draw.

Thank you in advance!!

Since everyone can debate, RONR is silent regarding candidate speeches mixed with assembly speeches. Most proposals for something like this can likely be agreed to by unanimous consent, but if someone ojbects and wants to vote on it, put forth whatever option sounds best and a 2/3 vote will decide the matter.

Since everyone can debate, RONR is silent regarding candidate speeches mixed with assembly speeches. Most proposals for something like this can likely be agreed to by unanimous consent, but if someone ojbects and wants to vote on it, put forth whatever option sounds best and a 2/3 vote will decide the matter.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear.. We allow each candidate a set time (10 mins) to address the assembly. The candidate can choose how they wish to use this time.

Only the 3 will be speaking, and the question is what order they should speak.

Thanks again!

Sorry, I don't think I was clear.. We allow each candidate a set time (10 mins) to address the assembly. The candidate can choose how they wish to use this time.

Thanks again!

RONR contains no rule on this. Let the assembly decide.

Thanks again!

Since you clearly are not using the rules in RONR to govern what happens in this meeting, you probably won't find the answer in RONR.

If it helps, RONR has no rule prohibiting a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, or drawing names from a hat, or cutting for high card, or alphabetical order, or ... well, pretty much whatever your assembly decides is fair.

Archived