The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations held one month early

Guest Nick

According to our by-laws, nominations for office are to take place in November with newly elected officers sworn in at the December meeting.

This year we made nominations in October, an honest mistake. Voting for these positions has not taken place yet, although some retained positions due to acclimation.

We gave notification to the membership twice in September that we would be taking nominations for these positions at the October meeting.

Since we violated our own rules do we need to start the nomination process over or can we follow through with elections since we gave proper and sufficient notice that nominations would take place?

My feeling is, the process is valid however newly elected officers will just be sworn in at the December meeting, as per our by-laws.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

So open the floor for nominations again in November and be done with it. No permanent harm done that I can see.

Yes, I suppose we could do that. My question, I guess, is do we need to?

My feeling is we do not, as we gave plenty of notice that we would be taking nominations in October. However, I also believe that offices should not officially start or end until December as per our by-laws.

According to our by-laws, nominations for office are to take place in November with newly elected officers sworn in at the December meeting.

This year we made nominations in October, an honest mistake. Voting for these positions has not taken place yet, although some retained positions due to acclimation.

We gave notification to the membership twice in September that we would be taking nominations for these positions at the October meeting.

Since we violated our own rules do we need to start the nomination process over or can we follow through with elections since we gave proper and sufficient notice that nominations would take place?

My feeling is, the process is valid however newly elected officers will just be sworn in at the December meeting, as per our by-laws.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Your bylaws say that nominations are to take place in November, so you need to take nominations in November. Do your bylaws prohibit taking nominations before November? If not, then nothing wrong was done by taking some nominations in October. But you still need to obey your bylaws.

Your bylaws say that nominations are to take place in November, so you need to take nominations in November. Do your bylaws prohibit taking nominations before November? If not, then nothing wrong was done by taking some nominations in October. But you still need to obey your bylaws.

Although, "if the bylaws authorize certain things specifically, other things of the same class are thereby prohibited" (p.574).

Archived