The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Strategy for RONR - up or down vote on an item

LaurelH

Hello, We have an item upcoming on our Senate agenda that the presenter of the item wants the Senate to take an up or down vote on and not amend the item. It's a long story why, but I want to be able to advise her about RONR strategy to achieve this end. My thoughts were: 1) to make a motion for what she wants: that is that the Senate take an up or down vote and not amend. If that passes, she has what she wants. If it doesn't pass, then she could object to consideration of the item. (Backstory - all these items last years came through as information items and were not even discussed at the Senate - precedence, right?)If that fails, what other options do you suggest or do you have a better strategy?

A thousand thanks!

Laurel

Sonoma State University

Whatever she does, Laurel, she's going to have to be mighty prompt at moving to suspend the rules, and even more prompt if she has to subsequently objects to the consideration.

From the example on p. 258, it looks like the motion to suspend the rules is the same motion that introduces the main motion to the assembly. So timing isn't so critical, since it all happens in the same sentence. Am I missing something?

If the vote on that motion doesn't receive the required two-thirds, then the main motion itself is no longer pending, and there would be no need to object to any consideration. But if the first vote (to suspend and adopt) is lost, and another member then makes the motion as a normal main motion, it's highly unlikely that a two-thirds vote to object to the consideration of the question will succeed, either.

From the example on p. 258, it looks like the motion to suspend the rules is the same motion that introduces the main motion to the assembly. So timing isn't so critical, since it all happens in the same sentence. Am I missing something?

If the vote on that motion doesn't receive the required two-thirds, then the main motion itself is no longer pending, and there would be no need to object to any consideration. But if the first vote (to suspend and adopt) is lost, and another member then makes the motion as a normal main motion, it's highly unlikely that a two-thirds vote to object to the consideration of the question will succeed, either.

You make a good point.

Lines 8-10 leave it murky for me......I'm not sure the whole thing goes away.

I would append my original answer to suggest the maker move to withdraw the motion rather than object to it (assuming there is still something there, which I think there is).

You make a good point.

Lines 8-10 leave it murky for me......I'm not sure the whole thing goes away.

I would append my original answer to suggest the maker move to withdraw the motion rather than object to it (assuming there is still something there, which I think there is).

This is interesting and tricky for us. The item is an item of business on our agenda, so once the Chair announces it, it's on the floor for whatever motions folks want to make about it. This particular item would remain on the agenda if the motion to suspend the rules did not pass and would have the status of a main motion as I understand it. The person wants the Senate not to amend the document, but doesn't mind having debate. I just talked with her about this.

This is interesting and tricky for us. The item is an item of business on our agenda, so once the Chair announces it, it's on the floor for whatever motions folks want to make about it. This particular item would remain on the agenda if the motion to suspend the rules did not pass and would have the status of a main motion as I understand it. The person wants the Senate not to amend the document, but doesn't mind having debate. I just talked with her about this.

If that's how motions hit the floor in your assembly, then moving to suspend the rules and adopt, Objection to the Consideration (as long as it's an ORIGINAL main motion) are in play.

Good luck.

Archived