The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Out of order

Guest Kelly Swan

Can a Vice President call someone out of order during a discussion even if the Chairperson is conducting the meeting?

Well, the vice president (or any other member) may raise a Point of Order that the speaker is out of order, and the presiding officer makes a ruling and corrects the fault. See RONR (10th ed.), §23, pp. 240ff; pp. 626-628. I don't understand what you mean when you say the "Chairperson is conducting the meeting". Where was the president? If the president was absent, why wasn't the vice president in the chair?

Well, the vice president (or any other member) may raise a Point of Order that the speaker is out of order, and the presiding officer makes a ruling and corrects the fault. See RONR (10th ed.), §23, pp. 240ff; pp. 626-628. I don't understand what you mean when you say the "Chairperson is conducting the meeting". Where was the president? If the president was absent, why wasn't the vice president in the chair?

The president was conducting the meeting and therefore, the chair.I wanted to know if a debate is heated and becomes out of order if the vice president can do that. Thank you!

The president was conducting the meeting and therefore, the chair.I wanted to know if a debate is heated and becomes out of order if the vice president can do that. Thank you!

Okay. Thank you. Yes, the vice president, like any other member, can call the speaker to order. When he does so, the president should make a ruling whether the speaker was out of order and correct the fault.

The vp can't "rule" a member out of order in that case, but any member can "call a member to order." The chair will then rule on it.

Okay. Thank you. Yes, the vice president, like any other member, can call the speaker to order. When he does so, the president should make a ruling whether the speaker was out of order and correct the fault.

One more question...do the results of an election, after the votes have been counted, have to be announced in terms of numbers or can the persons who won just be announced?

One more question...do the results of an election, after the votes have been counted, have to be announced in terms of numbers or can the persons who won just be announced?

If it is by ballot, the tellers' report should be read by the chairman of the tellers, then by the chairman, before the winner is declared. Then, the entire tellers' report is recorded in the minutes.

Archived