The Official RONR Q & A Forums

AGM Notice

Guest rohan

Elections at an AGM pretty much goes without saying.

Yes, but does it go totally without saying? Suppose the bylaws just say something like 'an annual meeting of the general membership will be held during the second week of October.' If nothing is ever said in the bylaws about the business to be conducted at the AGM, or about when elections are to be held, would notice of elections then be required? I don't think just the implication of an election (since elections are customary at AGMs) is adequate... or is it?

(I'm not saying this is the OP's situation... but it might be)

edited:

OK, I've just read Mr. Martin's answer more carefully -- 'notice is not required for regular elections' -- I guess that answers the question, even if the bylaws never explicitly link elections with the AGM.

If nothing is ever said in the bylaws about the business to be conducted at the AGM, or about when elections are to be held, would notice of elections then be required? I don't think just the implication of an election (since elections are customary at AGMs) is adequate... or is it?

Well, if the Bylaws do not state when elections are to be held, I think the organization has bigger problems than the required notice for the AGM. The time of elections of officers should always be stated in the Bylaws, and my answer was based on the idea that this information was included. Even if it were not included, however, there is no rule in RONR which requires notice of an election except for an election to fill a vacancy in an office.

Archived