The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Point of Discussion?

Guest Jimerson

I am a new member of an organizations Board. During a meeting, a motion before our Board had been closed to further debate/discussion and the president called for a vote.After 90% of the Board had logged an affirmative vote, one BOD voiced "Motion to Point of Discussion." Then demanded the Board recount the discussion just prior to the voting, in which the Board acquiesced. I am lost on this Point of Discussion. Is there such a motion?

OK.

Well, where you, or the chair actually, went wrong was allowing ANY interruptions during the taking of a vote. RONR, p. 408. The chair should (politely, one hopes) have asked the board member with his "point of discussion" to refrain from interrupting.

But that didn't happen. No real harm done, I suppose. The vote, however it came out, stands.

OK.

Well, where you, or the chair actually, went wrong was allowing ANY interruptions during the taking of a vote. RONR, p. 408. The chair should (politely, one hopes) have asked the board member with his "point of discussion" to refrain from interrupting.

But that didn't happen. No real harm done, I suppose. The vote, however it came out, stands.

Thank you! I spent hours reading Robert's Rules to try and find out what a Point of Discussion is.

I am a new member of an organizations Board. During a meeting, a motion before our Board had been closed to further debate/discussion and the president called for a vote.After 90% of the Board had logged an affirmative vote, one BOD voiced "Motion to Point of Discussion." Then demanded the Board recount the discussion just prior to the voting, in which the Board acquiesced. I am lost on this Point of Discussion. Is there such a motion?

It is listed right next to a Point of Personal Outrage (proving I read other people's stuff). :)

There is no need for he president to "close" the motion when debate winds down. He can and should just put the question at that time.

Not only is there no Motion to Point of Discussion, even if there were, it would not have been in order in the middle of a vote. Once you start voting, you finish voting before doing anything else.

Archived