The Official RONR Q & A Forums

minutes

Guest sally sanders

When minutes are read and the president asks if there are any correctins or additions may anyone on the floor make corrections? If that person making corrections did not attend the meeting the minutes were for can that person still legally make corrections, or must their corrections be ignored since he did not attend the meeting and had no idea of what really happened or was said?

When minutes are read and the president asks if there are any correctins or additions may anyone on the floor make corrections? If that person making corrections did not attend the meeting the minutes were for can that person still legally make corrections, or must their corrections be ignored since he did not attend the meeting and had no idea of what really happened or was said?

Any member of the assembly can offer a correction, whether or not he was present at the meeting. He offers a correction, but it is the assembly that decides whether the correction is agreed to.

When minutes are read and the president asks if there are any correctins or additions may anyone on the floor make corrections?

Anyone who is a member can offer a correction, yes.

If that person making corrections did not attend the meeting the minutes were for can that person still legally make corrections,

Yes, as Mr. Elsman has pointed out, a member who was absent at the meeting in question can offer a correction, but it is the assembly that decides it, usually by unanimous consent(as opposed to a formal vote). That is, the chair will say, "If there is no objection..."

or must their corrections be ignored since he did not attend the meeting and had no idea of what really happened

No, they shouldn't be ignored. Not all corrections are based on eye-witness accounts. Some corrections could be purely related to the format of the minutes.

or was said?

The minutes should be a record of what was DONE, not what was said.

If the meeting is being conducted as a deliberative assembly as defined by Rober's Rules any member of the assembly can offer an amedment to the minutes of the previous meeting. Attendece at5 that meeting is not a prerequisteto offering an amendment.

Prior to approval of the minutes, the changes offered by members are 'corrections', not 'amendments'.

"Corrections" is the term used by RONR is this connection, but they are also "amendments", are they not?

Yes, I guess that's true, as the approval of the minutes is a pending motion. Hadn't thought of it that way.

However, I think there's value in encouraging use of the term 'corrections' -- it focuses the members' attention on the fact that the minutes are to be a factual record, and that it is not appropriate to freely amend that record to suit the whim of the assembly. I assume this is why RONR uses the term 'correction' for this particular type of 'amendment'.

Yes, I guess that's true, as the approval of the minutes is a pending motion. Hadn't thought of it that way.

However, I think there's value in encouraging use of the term 'corrections' -- it focuses the members' attention on the fact that the minutes are to be a factual record, and that it is not appropriate to freely amend that record to suit the whim of the assembly. I assume this is why RONR uses the term 'correction' for this particular type of 'amendment'.

Fair enough. smile.gif

However, I think there's value in encouraging use of the term 'corrections' -- it focuses the members' attention on the fact that the minutes are to be a factual record, and that it is not appropriate to freely amend that record to suit the whim of the assembly.

It's certainly better than, "Are there any fabrications to the minutes?" ;)

....or must their corrections be ignored since he did not attend the meeting and had no idea of what really happened or was said?

Not at all. Suppose the minutes claimed that you had made some motion at the last meeting, but you were not even present at the last meeting.

Are you saying you would have no idea of whether that really happened, and should not be permitted to correct the error?

Archived