The Official RONR Q & A Forums

abstentions

ajones

If you don't have any rules about it, RONR does not prevent it either.

And, she could abstain even if she was quite clear with herself how she felt about a topic, too.

Thank you, That was my understanding, but I am being told I am wrong. Is there anywhere that you know of that this is in writing? I have a meeting at 3:00 to discuss this and I would like some back up, if possible.

Is there anywhere to find this in writing? I am being told that the Board member must vote yes or no!

It may be on p.394 (the page that's missing from my well-worn copy). But all you will find is that RONR says that a member can't be compelled to vote. If someone is telling you that there's a rule (somewhere else) that says that a member of your board must vote, the burden of proof is on them to show you that rule.

Thank you, That was my understanding, but I am being told I am wrong. Is there anywhere that you know of that this is in writing? I have a meeting at 3:00 to discuss this and I would like some back up, if possible.

"RIGHT OF ABSTENTION. Although it is the duty of every member who has an opinion on a question to express it by his vote, he can abstain, since he cannot be compelled to vote. By the same token, when an office or position is to be filled by a number of members, as in the case of a committee, or positions on a board, a member may partially abstain by voting for less than all of those for whom he is entitled to vote." RONR, p. 394

It may be on p.394 (the page that's missing from my well-worn copy). But all you will find is that RONR says that a member can't be compelled to vote. If someone is telling you that there's a rule (somewhere else) that says that a member of your board must vote, the burden of proof is on them to show you that rule.

Thank you, would that this were the case. Here, they have decided I must prove that this person had the right to abstain. But, I will check out the missing page, thanks for your input.

Thank you, would that this were the case. Here, they have decided I must prove that this person had the right to abstain. But, I will check out the missing page, thanks for your input.

You mean <shudder>, THEM!?

If "they" have decided that the burden of proof is on the accused, I don't think that "they" are the sort of people I'd like to hang out with.

The proper response when someone says "that's against the rules", is "which rule; show me?". If they're right, they should have no problem coming up with it.

"RIGHT OF ABSTENTION. Although it is the duty of every member who has an opinion on a question to express it by his vote, he can abstain, since he cannot be compelled to vote. By the same token, when an office or position is to be filled by a number of members, as in the case of a committee, or positions on a board, a member may partially abstain by voting for less than all of those for whom he is entitled to vote." RONR, p. 394

Thank you so much!! You are wonderful!!!

You mean <shudder>, THEM!?

If "they" have decided that the burden of proof is on the accused, I don't think that "they" are the sort of people I'd like to hang out with.

The proper response when someone says "that's against the rules", is "which rule; show me?". If they're right, they should have no problem coming up with it.

LOL, yes, "them" and occasionally I do shudder. I wish I could do it that way, but my "theys" would never allow that and allow me to keep my position.

Archived