The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive session

Guest Tim

I'm a new member of the board of governors at our yacht club. At our first meeting, we went to executive session 3 times. No notes were aloud to be taken, and no minutes kept. Two of the sessions pertained to personal issues with members. I understand the need for the executive session in this case. One of the issues was an executive board member not being able get get financial information from the treasurer, after requesting it four times since July.

My question is, what if anything is not allowed in an executive session? Are there items of business that must be discussed openly? My concern is that the executive session may be being used to cover up information, that would concern the members, if they knew what was going on.

Thanks

RONR imposes no limit on what business can be transacted in Executive Session. However, minutes are to be taken in Executive Session (RONR p. 93) although the minutes would only reflect what is being done but not what is being said. Also, the Membership can order the Board minutes be read even those from Executive Session (RONR p. 470).

Can the President of an Organization call an executive session to discuss personal issues? Should any notice be given to members and how many days ahead?

No. And executive sessions are not "called" ahead of time. An executive session is a kind of meeting (or portion of a meeting). So it's the meeting that's called. Whether your president, or anyone else for that matter, can call a special meeting depends on your bylaws.

Can the President of an Organization call an executive session to discuss personal issues? Should any notice be given to members and how many days ahead?

You may be confusing "executive session" with "special meeting." A special meeting can only be called if authorized in the bylaws, and, if so authorized, the bylaws should spell out who can call a special meeting and how many days' notice is required. Notice must be sent to all members a reasonable number of days in advance. Only business mentioned in the call of the meeting can be transacted.

RONR imposes no limit on what business can be transacted in Executive Session. However, minutes are to be taken in Executive Session (RONR p. 93) although the minutes would only reflect what is being done but not what is being said. Also, the Membership can order the Board minutes be read even those from Executive Session (RONR p. 470).

Thanks for the help. This answered my questions.

My concern is that the executive session may be being used to cover up information, that would concern the members, if they knew what was going on.

That might be the end result, but try not to think of it in such a nefarious way.

Think of it like this - Each assembly (board, membership, committee) has right to conduct it's business privately and may exclude non-members at any time. Non-members may have no "right" to attend, but many times they do and it's perfectly fine. But there are times when it's desired to take the step of excluding non-members from the whole meeting or a portion of it. You wouldn't want someone from a competing club parking themselves in the middle of your membership or board meetings while the finances were being discussed, would you?

So, yes, it's possible that it looks like you're trying to hide something, but usually, it's far more benign than that. You just want privacy so you can get your business done and get home.

Archived