The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions made voted on , not unamious

Guest Tom McDonough

If a motion is made, and voted on but not unanimous, can a member be forced to spend personal money on item that was voted on. Also the vote was taken, without the entire membership being present, to hear options and vote for or against. So is the vote binding or can it be reopened, to present to complete membership for reconsideration.

If a motion is made, and voted on but not unanimous, can a member be forced to spend personal money on item that was voted on. Also the vote was taken, without the entire membership being present, to hear options and vote for or against. So is the vote binding or can it be reopened, to present to complete membership for reconsideration.

Unless the bylaws specifically provide for it, members cannot be obligated to make any additional payments beyond the dues or fees prescribed there, RONR (10th ed.), p. 555, ll. 2-4.

Personal money? I would think not, unless the money went to dues for the association. But I would want to look at the exact adopted motion.

Unanimous passage has no bearing - majority vote decides.

Entire membership? If a quorum was present -- see your bylaws -- the motion is valid.

Next meeting anybody can move to rescind or amend the adopted motion. "Reconsideration" is a technical term in RONR-land that doesn't apply in your case, as described.

Next meeting anybody can move to rescind or amend the adopted motion. "Reconsideration" is a technical term in RONR-land that doesn't apply in your case, as described.

Or if the motion is invalid (which I think is likely), the appropriate course of action is to raise a Point of Order, followed by an Appeal if necessary.

Such as? "I move we all kick in 5$ for Harry's birthday present" and it passes? And your question is can someone who voted no be forced to cough up the 5?

Archived