The Official RONR Q & A Forums

resignation

Guest joyce adams

the city sent me to the wrong new councilmember training,i didn't know this until recently,i resigned to make sure ther would be no trouble. i found it was legal to put me back on,now they won't appoint me back on saying it was too close til elections.exactly how many days is it legal before election to appoint someone to the vacancy on the council? thank you

As far as RONR is concerned, an appointment could be made the day before the election. Even the hour before.

So if it's not "legal", you'll have to look somewhere else for the rule. Or law.

being legal was their term,they said you could not appoint anyone if it is less than 120days before filing for an election,which is next year

being legal was their term,they said you could not appoint anyone if it is less than 120days before filing for an election,which is next year

Your question is one of law, and not a question on parliamentary procedure.

There is no "120 day" rule in Robert's Rules of Order.

If your city is subject to a law which demands a 120 days period (of something), then consult a lawyer for legal advice.

the city sent me to the wrong new councilmember training,i didn't know this until recently,i resigned to make sure ther would be no trouble. i found it was legal to put me back on,now they won't appoint me back on saying it was too close til elections.exactly how many days is it legal before election to appoint someone to the vacancy on the council? thank you

It's a very small chance, but check to see if they ever actually "accepted" your resignation by a formal motion. If not, simply withdraw it, and start showing up for meetings again.

It's a very small chance, but check to see if they ever actually "accepted" your resignation by a formal motion. If not, simply withdraw it, and start showing up for meetings again.

in the oklahoma statutes,it says if i present a written resignation without a date,it was accepted immediately,without councils approval at meeting

Why did you even bother to resign to begin with? I would not have of - I would have asked for the correct information instead.

i resigned because i didn't want the city to get in trouble,the city didn't know anything,this is something i found out on my own.if i hadn't resigned nobody would have known anything about it. now they won't appoint me back on.

Archived