The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Please help - 2010 board will not release info

Guest Anastasia

We elected our 2011 board at our annual December meeting. When the 2011 secretary and treasurer contacted the previous officers, the 2010 secretary and treasurer are refusing to hand over the treasurer and secreatary information (checking/money market account info, utility account, meeting minutes, formal complaint notices, etc.) until mid-February at the earliest. The previous secretary was in a car accident and the previous board will not transfer any information until she is recovered and the 2010 and 2011 board members can attend a formal meeting to transfer duties. We need this information now to pay bills. We are also concerned about transactions performed by the previous treasurer. Neither our restrictions nor our by-laws specify that a meeting must be held to transfer duties from the previous board to the newly elected board. It is my understanding according to RONR, the previous board no longer has power and the information is to be handed over immediately. What recourse does the 2011 board have to obtain the treasurer and secretary information? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

We elected our 2011 board at our annual December meeting. When the 2011 secretary and treasurer contacted the previous officers, the 2010 secretary and treasurer are refusing to hand over the treasurer and secreatary information (checking/money market account info, utility account, meeting minutes, formal complaint notices, etc.) until mid-February at the earliest. The previous secretary was in a car accident and the previous board will not transfer any information until she is recovered and the 2010 and 2011 board members can attend a formal meeting to transfer duties. We need this information now to pay bills. We are also concerned about transactions performed by the previous treasurer. Neither our restrictions nor our by-laws specify that a meeting must be held to transfer duties from the previous board to the newly elected board. It is my understanding according to RONR, the previous board no longer has power and the information is to be handed over immediately. What recourse does the 2011 board have to obtain the treasurer and secretary information? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Are they doing an audit?

Unfortunately, the 2010 board is not doing an audit. It is my perception we are dealing with a control freak who does not want to relinquish control. Also, considering the 2010 treasurer illegally entered into a contract last year and went over budget doing so, (to the best of my knowledge) would not let anyone see any financial statements from the bank for the last 3+ years and would only provide her spreadsheet showing the current year's account balances in December, I am currently researching firms to have an audit performed. Another 2011 board member will be contacting an attorney next week. I'm hoping there's an alternative method of recourse besides involving an attorney but I'm not sure what that would be. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you.

We elected our 2011 board at our annual December meeting.

When the 2011 secretary and treasurer contacted the previous officers, the 2010 secretary and treasurer are refusing to hand over the treasurer and secreatary information (checking/money market account info, utility account, meeting minutes, formal complaint notices, etc.) until mid-February at the earliest.

The previous secretary was in a car accident and the previous board will not transfer any information until she is recovered and the 2010 and 2011 board members can attend a formal meeting to transfer duties.

We need this information now to pay bills.

We are also concerned about transactions performed by the previous treasurer.

Neither our restrictions nor our by-laws specify that a meeting must be held to transfer duties from the previous board to the newly elected board.

It is my understanding according to RONR, the previous board no longer has power and the information is to be handed over immediately.

Right.

Under Robert's Rules of Order, there is no start or end of a term of office, except the act electing someone, or a electing new "someone".

The person who wins an office, if notified that he won, and if he does not decline the office, begins his term of office immediately.

Your rules might be different. -- You might have an explicit start event or start date for a term of office for your officers. Your election in December might have been a separate date from the time those newly elected officers actually take office.

Beware of this wild card variable. -- "Only your bylaws know for sure." :rolleyes:

What recourse does the 2011 board have to obtain the treasurer and secretary information?

You can always ask.

You cannot use force. Nothing in Robert's Rules authorizes corporal punishment.

What is stopping you from engaging a lawyer. -- That might work wonders for one's motivation. :o

I am not going to tell you to adopt a resolution, urging the reticent officer(s) to turn over the papers of the organization. -- That would be a waste of time, even if it feels good at the time. I am sure no amount of resolutions will have a psychological effect on your tardy outgoing officers.

It is my understanding according to RONR, the previous board no longer has power and the information is to be handed over immediately. What recourse does the 2011 board have to obtain the treasurer and secretary information? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If some of the hardier members of the Two-Fisted Parliamentarians club have nothing better to do over the holiday weekend, perhaps they would be willing to come over and "persuade" the recalcitrant officers to behave better. :)

If some of the hardier members of the Two-Fisted Parliamentarians club have nothing better to do over the holiday weekend, perhaps they would be willing to come over and "persuade" the recalcitrant officers to behave better. :)

Nothing better to do? Are the bars all closed?

(N. B. Capriciously, there is no hyphen in "Two Fisted Parliamentarians Club." If you find yourself with an extra, it belongs in "e-mail.")

(N. B. Capriciously, there is no hyphen in "Two Fisted Parliamentarians Club." If you find yourself with an extra, it belongs in "e-mail.")

"Two-fisted", being a compound adjective, gets a hyphen. Just like the Red-Headed League. Or a one-handed catch.

Otherwise one is left wondering [a] what a "fisted parliamentarian" is and why there are two of them.

There's probably an apostrophe in there as well.

Gary c Tesser, on 30 December 2010 - 01:48 PM, said:

"Two-fisted", being a compound adjective, gets a hyphen. Just like the Red-Headed League. Or a one-handed catch.

Otherwise one is left wondering [a] what a "fisted parliamentarian" is and why there are two of them.

There's probably an apostrophe in there as well.

Yeah I know, that's standard proper orthography. That's why I said the official name is capricious in its punctuation. Perhaps I should better have called it idiosyncratic, or whimsical. (But not *wrong*, because its name is, by definition, right.

(Man, this finicky crap is so much fun when blizzarded in. Or any other time.)

Yeah I know, that's standard proper orthography. That's why I said the official name is capricious in its punctuation. Perhaps I should better have called it idiosyncratic, or whimsical. (But not *wrong*, because its name is, by definition, right.

Ah ha.

Well, the name, as you typed it, may be accurate but the punctuation is still wrong (and should be fixed). Failing that, one ought to insert "[sic]" to alert readers to the idiosyncrasy.

Ah ha.

Well, the name, as you typed it, may be accurate but the punctuation is still wrong (and should be fixed). Failing that, one ought to insert "[sic]" to alert readers to the idiosyncrasy.

You think you're gonna get Mervosh and me to insert quote-bracket-italics-sic-italics-bracket-quote anywhere but where the sun don't shine, you have been to lamentably too few meetings, which can be rectified.

: - )

Archived