The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election Processes

bluelali

Last November, we had old By Law and it was voted to changed it to new By Law. Our Election chairperson followed our old By Law that is not exist in new By Law. However, it was stated that its in effective immediate in November 2010.

Now, I wonder if it is too late to correct the election process which our new officers plan to take an office in a couple of week.

Please advise.

Last November, we had old By Law and it was voted to changed it to new By Law. Our Election chairperson followed our old By Law that is not exist in new By Law. However, it was stated that its in effective immediate in November 2010.

Now, I wonder if it is too late to correct the election process which our new officers plan to take an office in a couple of week.

Please advise.

What was done incorrectly in the election process?

What was done incorrectly in the election process?

The old By Law stated it has to be over 6 months membership of an organization. The new By Law stated it has to be over 12 months (a year) of membership. The incoming president is only 6 months membership.

My question is ... is it too late to correct it? or can I correct it before the oath take in a couple of week?

The old By Law stated it has to be over 6 months membership of an organization. The new By Law stated it has to be over 12 months (a year) of membership. The incoming president is only 6 months membership.

My question is ... is it too late to correct it? or can I correct it before the oath take in a couple of week?

You will need to look to the bylaws for the EXACT language and then figure out whether the incoming President would be in compliance with the bylaws. If not, raise a Point of Order on the subject. See RONR p. 244 for details.

If the election hasn't taken place yet, then there is clearly time to correct it.

You will need to look to the bylaws for the EXACT language and then figure out whether the incoming President would be in compliance with the bylaws. If not, raise a Point of Order on the subject. See RONR p. 244 for details.

I noticed that incoming President is not in compliance with our new by laws. I question if outgoing president can bring the attention to the general meeting or it has to be by members (?)

I noticed that incoming President is not in compliance with our new by laws. I question if outgoing president can bring the attention to the general meeting or it has to be by members (?)

The President can do rule the election for President is null and void because the elected didn't meet the requirement for election (if that is indeed the case) or a member can raise a Point of Order on the subject.

Archived