The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Late notice

mpelaw

Our bylaws require notice within 14 days, the meeting is scheduled for 9 days from now, and our secretary forgot to prepare and send out the notice. Is there any alternative to changing the meeting date?

Also, I've read comments saying that all business conducted at insufficiently noticed meetings is null and void, but I can't find that in RONR. Could someone please point me to that in the book?

Thanks!

Our bylaws require notice within 14 days, the meeting is scheduled for 9 days from now, and our secretary forgot to prepare and send out the notice. Is there any alternative to changing the meeting date?

Yes. You can call the meeting to order and then set up an Adjourned meeting (RONR pp. 234-240) and then adjourn until then.

Also, I've read comments saying that all business conducted at insufficiently noticed meetings is null and void, but I can't find that in RONR. Could someone please point me to that in the book?

RONR p. 244(e).

Yes. You can call the meeting to order and then set up an Adjourned meeting (RONR pp. 234-240) and then adjourn until then.

RONR p. 244(e).

No rule in RONR empowers the assembly to do anything of the sort at an improperly-called meeting. What is said in RONR (10th ed.), p. 336, l. 24, through p. 337, l. 30, applies only to an inquorate meeting that is properly-called, in my opinion. At an improperly-called meeting, there are no legal votes by legal voters, RONR (10th ed.), p. 408, l. 31, through p. 409, l. 1.

No rule in RONR empowers the assembly to do anything of the sort at an improperly-called meeting. What is said in RONR (10th ed.), p. 336, l. 24, through p. 337, l. 30, applies only to an inquorate meeting that is properly-called, in my opinion. At an improperly-called meeting, there are no legal votes by legal voters, RONR (10th ed.), p. 408, l. 31, through p. 409, l. 1.

I agree with Mr. Elsman. If insufficient notice was sent of the meeting, the only option is to send out sufficient notice for a meeting at a later date.

Archived