The Official RONR Q & A Forums

township board members conduct during a public monthly meeting.

Guest Scooter

Our township has a town board meeting once a month, each month there are residents that attend these meetings. Some on the adgenda some not. We have had a problem with the town board doing things against our business that are illegal according to state statues. We found out about this problem, and had to take messaures to get the board to even look at what was going on. We were put on the agenda, would go to the meetings to discuss these matters. There have been times that we left the meeting after our topic was done being discussed, but the board meeting was not finished yet, and witnesses have called us and told us that the board memebers, and clerk, would say things in the meeting like those people are loosers, dead beats, grumpy old man, and most likely more words, and laugh about us and our business. It is not just us, but other residence that stick up for themselves,and their rights. Once you do stick up for yourself you are no good in the boards eyes. We do have witnesses. I would think that this kind of conduct in a town board meeting is unprofeshinal, uncalled for, and should not be happening. I tried to get the board to mechaniclly record all meetings to stop this behavior, all the people at that meeting, wanted all meetings recorded, but the town board turned it down.

What I would like to know is: Is there a rule for this kind of conduct in Robert's Rules, and where is it on the website for Robert's Rules so I can copy it and bring it up at a meeting? I looked around but could not find anything in this website. Thanks for any help you can give!

Our township has a town board meeting once a month, each month there are residents that attend these meetings. Some on the adgenda some not. We have had a problem with the town board doing things against our business that are illegal according to state statues. We found out about this problem, and had to take messaures to get the board to even look at what was going on. We were put on the agenda, would go to the meetings to discuss these matters. There have been times that we left the meeting after our topic was done being discussed, but the board meeting was not finished yet, and witnesses have called us and told us that the board memebers, and clerk, would say things in the meeting like those people are loosers, dead beats, grumpy old man, and most likely more words, and laugh about us and our business. It is not just us, but other residence that stick up for themselves,and their rights. Once you do stick up for yourself you are no good in the boards eyes. We do have witnesses. I would think that this kind of conduct in a town board meeting is unprofeshinal, uncalled for, and should not be happening. I tried to get the board to mechaniclly record all meetings to stop this behavior, all the people at that meeting, wanted all meetings recorded, but the town board turned it down.

What I would like to know is: Is there a rule for this kind of conduct in Robert's Rules, and where is it on the website for Robert's Rules so I can copy it and bring it up at a meeting? I looked around but could not find anything in this website. Thanks for any help you can give!

If you are not Board members you have no rights under RONR. But check any applicable rules and laws to see if they give you all any rights.

We have had a problem with the town board doing things against our business that are illegal according to state statues.

Then you should talk to a lawyer.

What I would like to know is: Is there a rule for this kind of conduct in Robert's Rules, and where is it on the website for Robert's Rules so I can copy it and bring it up at a meeting?

There are no rules in RONR which protect non-members (and if there were, they wouldn't be on the website). I suppose, however, that the rule that members' remarks must be germane to the pending question would apply, but if the board is as bad as you say I don't think them showing RONR will help any. For what it's worth, the rule is as follows:

CONFINING REMARKS TO THE MERITS OF THE PENDING QUESTION. In debate a member's remarks must be germane to the question before the assembly-that is, his statements must have bearing on whether the pending motion should be adopted (see also Principles Governing the Debatability of Motions, pp. 384-86).

Is there a rule for this kind of conduct in Robert's Rules, and where is it on the website for Robert's Rules so I can copy it and bring it up at a meeting? I looked around but could not find anything in this website. Thanks for any help you can give!

Check out Decorum -- pages 379-382.

Check out Decorum -- pages 379-382.

Don't most of the rules of decorum only apply to conduct toward other members of the society? It would seem to me that indecorous remarks against a non-member are certainly rude and unprofessional, but do not violate any parliamentary rule. I can't think of any rule of decorum which would apply here except the requirement that remarks be germane to the pending question.

Thank you to all that posted a response to my post. This situation has been going on for years, and it dose not go away even when new members, or clerks are voted in. I think the problem is that the old ones train the new ones, and in this training teach them the bad habits. And in elections there is never all new members, a clerk, or Tres. So there is always someone there that worked with the old board members. Some of these people have been in there 10 years or more. I sure did not vote for them. But we live in a area where there are alot of retired people, and most don't even vote, or don't want to rock the boat, for fear of retailiation cause they see what happened to us, or others in the past that did stick up for their rights. Living in a rural area with small community ways used to be great when everyone helped each other in good times and bad, but over the last 10 years or some the old times have passed away, and the new ones that moved in, only care about themselves, or just don't want to get involved.

I would go and talk to an attorney, but it is very hard to get one in our area that will take a case against a town, or county, and don't have the extra money to pay for an attorney. These people know people in our area can't afford to pay an attorney so that is why they get away with what they want.

Maybe I'll write an artical in the local newspapers so people will read the truth. Most likely wont do much, but then everyone will at least know what is going on, and not just from one source. But will have to word it right so there would be no chance that we would get sued.

But thanks to you all anyway. Have a great day!

Archived