The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions

wwdslovene

I have read that the president of a board cannot refuse to allow an issue to come before the board. Where can I find

that in Robert't Rules?

Well, the President can rule a motion out of order if it violates some parliamentary rule, but he cannot refuse to let a motion to be considered simply because he doesn't like it, and I suspect the latter is what you are referring to. There is no citation which directly states what you are looking for, but you will note that nowhere in RONR, 10th ed., Section 4: The Handling of a Motion does the chair's opinions on the motion come into play when determining whether to place it before the assembly for consideration. If the President is claiming he can refuse to allow a legitimate motion to be considered, he's the one who should be looking for support for his statements (and he won't find any in RONR).

Now, since I imagine just talking to the President might not be sufficient in this case, you should read up on what to do if he violates the rules. If the President is ruling a legitimate motion out of order, see RONR, 10th ed., Section 24: Appeal for information on how to handle that. If the chair is neither admitting the motion nor ruling it out of order, see RONR, 10th ed., pg. 642. I'd also take a look at Official Interpretation 2006-2 and FAQ #20, as this sort of behavior is completely unacceptable for a presiding officer and should not be tolerated.

Well, the President can rule a motion out of order if it violates some parliamentary rule, but he cannot refuse to let a motion to be considered simply because he doesn't like it, and I suspect the latter is what you are referring to. There is no citation which directly states what you are looking for...

I've always figured that page 434, lines 7 - 15 is the citation that covers what the OP was looking for.

Archived