The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing a passed motion

Guest Troy Staten

Hello I am a new President of a small association of Realtor's and a motion was passed on a 4/3 vote one member of the board was absent. I was under the impression that I was not allowed a vote (apparently I was mistaken) Some members of the want to call a special meeting and revisit the issue. The two issues are can we change our position because I was excluded from the vote and in general can the board revisit a motion and change there position?

Thanks

Some members of the want to call a special meeting and revisit the issue.

Bear in mind that special meetings must be authorized in the bylaws and also that special meetings are for considering business that can't wait until the next regular meeting.

As Mr. Mervosh suggested, an adopted motion can often be rescinded or otherwise amended. It takes either a two-thirds vote, the vote of a majority of the entire membership (of the board) or, with previous notice, a majority vote.

Hello I am a new President of a small association of Realtor's and a motion was passed on a 4/3 vote one member of the board was absent. I was under the impression that I was not allowed a vote (apparently I was mistaken) Some members of the want to call a special meeting and revisit the issue. The two issues are can we change our position because I was excluded from the vote and in general can the board revisit a motion and change there position?

You were not excluded from the vote. You simply didn't vote, because of your mistaken notion.

In small boards of no more than about a dozen, presidents can vote, make motions, and enter into debate like any member.

Even in large assemblies, the chair can vote if the vote is by secret ballot, or whenever his one vote would make a difference. If you opposed the motion, you could have voted No to create a tie, and the motion would have failed.

At this point, you can certainly move to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted, if you want to change your collective mind. With previous notice, a majority vote is required; without previous notice, a 2/3 vote, or a majority of the whole board. Since you apparently have a small group with good attendance, the last of these is likely the easiest to fulfill.

To change a past motion does the prevailing party on a board have to agree to revisit the passed motion or can any board member ask that the issue be revisited? I was told by one person that in order for us to change a past motion the prevailing side of the issue must agree to bring it to the table.

Thanks

To change a past motion does the prevailing party on a board have to agree to revisit the passed motion or can any board member ask that the issue be revisited? I was told by one person that in order for us to change a past motion the prevailing side of the issue must agree to bring it to the table.

No, that one person is wrong, and has apparently conflated the motion to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted with the motion to Reconsider. The latter is not applicable to your situation. It's a fairly common misconception--but a misconception nonetheless.

Any member can move to Amend or Rescind a previously adopted motion, regardless of how they voted, if they voted, whether they were present--or even members of the organization--when the original motion was passed.

Can an organization, having approved a budget and has started the physical year, respond to a petition by members to recind that boards budget and impose another if approved by a majority?

Yes, but previous notice must be given for the motion to Rescind to require only a majority vote. Without notice, it requires a 2/3 vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership.

Archived