The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Timing for Reconsider vs Rescind

Guest Richard in VA

Guest Richard in VA

It's always been my understanding of RONR that a motion to Reconsider is only valid during the meeting in which the original motion (the one to be reconsidered) is made, or during the second meeting day of multi-day sessions. Once the second day passes, reconsider is no longer valid.

It's also my understanding that a motion to Rescind (or amend) is not valid as long as Reconsider is an option.

Is this true?

Any help is appreciated.

Richard in VA.

It's always been my understanding of RONR that a motion to Reconsider is only valid during the meeting in which the original motion (the one to be reconsidered) is made, or during the second meeting day of multi-day sessions. Once the second day passes, reconsider is no longer valid.

True (RONR p. 316 ll. 22-31).

It's also my understanding that a motion to Rescind (or amend) is not valid as long as Reconsider is an option.

False.  While a motion to Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted has a higher voting requirement than Reconsider thus Reconsidering the motion would be easier there might be times when R/ASPA would still be useful. 

For example, since only someone who voted on the prevailing side can make the motion to Reconsider the members would be in quite a quandary if no one from the prevailing side was willing to move to Reconsider.  However even if that were the case, if the organization is small enough with most members attending the meeting and voting the members could still get what they want by using R/ASPA (especially if the original motion was adopted by an unrepresentative quorum at the start of the meeting before most of the members had arrived).

Guest Richard in VA

Thank you George... there's always a sharp one in every bunch!

I knew I had brought something similar up some time ago. THANKS!

But I'm still confused, I swear I've read in the 10th edition that rescind and amend is inappropriate (or invalid) when reconsider is available.

My question regards a motion that was made at a monthly town council meeting. The meeting was continued to the following week and the membor who moved on the original motion (it passed) wants to rescind that same motion during the continued meeting.

I don't know what R/ASPA is.

THANKS!

Thank you George... there's always a sharp one in every bunch!

I knew I had brought something similar up some time ago. THANKS!

But I'm still confused, I swear I've read in the 10th edition that rescind and amend is inappropriate (or invalid) when reconsider is available.

My question regards a motion that was made at a monthly town council meeting. The meeting was continued to the following week and the membor who moved on the original motion (it passed) wants to rescind that same motion during the continued meeting.

I don't know what R/ASPA is.

THANKS!

By paragraphs...

1)  What are the rest of us? Chopped liver?  :)

2)  You are correct but it is a very special case:  If a motion to reconsider has been made (properly, of course) but not yet called up (p. 323) (for whatever reason), it is not proper to move to "R/ASPA" (definition below).  RONR/11, p. 308.

3)  Town councils often have substantial variations of the rules, including reconsider. RONR would say "Can't do it" because of the time gap of a week.  But check your town's rules.

4) R/ASPA:  Shorthand acronym for Rescind; Amend Something Previously Adopted. P. 305,

Guest Richard in VA

There has been no motion to Reconsider. Nor has a motion been made to Rescind.

The member who moved the main motion, the one that passed during the monthly council meeting last week, plans to move to rescind (or reconsider) during the continued meeting... which wont take place till tomorrow night.

The monthly meeting was continued to tomorrow night.

I'm assuming the continued meeting is considered the second meeting day of a multi-day session, therefore allowing reconsider as an option, and that resind/amend is not valid until next month regular meeting.

Thanks again!

There has been no motion to Reconsider. Nor has a motion been made to Rescind.

I'm assuming the continued meeting is considered the second meeting day of a multi-day session, therefore allowing reconsider as an option, and that resind/amend is not valid until next month regular meeting.

Since nothing has been made, either option is available, as Dr. Stackpole (aka, Dr. Chopped Liver), noted in #2 of his answer.  This case is NOT the same as the one cited on p. 308. a)

Archived