The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Mailing of minutes/financial reports

Guest Zellorac

X-board members are demanding that ALL minutes and financial reports are to be mailed to any member that is not present at a previously or special called meeting.  (board members, past board members and regular membership)  This has not been addressed in by laws...

Should a by law be created to cover the above issue or is there an established rule to follow ?  Thanking you in advance !

1 hour ago, Guest Zellorac said:

X-board members are demanding that ALL minutes and financial reports are to be mailed to any member that is not present at a previously or special called meeting.  (board members, past board members and regular membership) 

This has not been addressed in bylaws...

Q. Should a bylaw be created to cover the above issue or is there an established rule to follow ?

Answer: Don't create a bylaw where an ordinary motion will do.

No single individual, or two or three, can demand anything officially. -- But they may move that X be done (where X represents an action).

And if you get a majority vote, then X shall be done.

And if you don't get a majority vote, then X shall not be done.

Don't turn it into rocket science.

Yes - just decide, perhaps by a motion. it seems to me to make sense to send these to Board members. Regular members could be a cost/work issue.

I would have a problem, though, with past Board members. How and why would they be treated differently than regular members or even non-members?

In these days of email and electronic communication, perhaps US Mail is not necessary.

I can understand making copies of reports and Minutes available to all members of the group in question.  In this case, all Board members, present or not, should be given a copy of any paperwork handed out.  For two reasons: one if the report requires action that is later amended, how is the member to know what was in the report.  Secondly, the member may like to know what the report says, if for no other reason then to have an idea of what was in it.

Archived