The Official RONR Q & A Forums

past president terms

Guest Stephanie

I was asked to remain President of the Board for an additional year, to keep some cohesion with all the changes happening within our organization.  What happens to my Past President, whose 3 year term as a Board member ends this year?

My Presidential term ends in October 2016, my board term and the additional Presidential term I was reelected to go to October 2017.

I see in the current by-laws, the Board of Directors consists of 13 members and an Immediate Past President. I am allowed to succeed for one term only. It does not say anything else regarding the term of PP. It has been suggested to me by a peer that as long as there is A Past President on the Board, I don't have to have an immediate?

I guess I'm not really understanding your question about the immediate past president board position. Since you are continuing to serve as president, the person who was president just before you were elected is the immediate past president. The fact that you are serving another term doesn't change who the immediate past president is.

It's up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws. However, it seems to me that the immediate past president Remains the immediate past president until such time as you become the immediate past president. As long as you are the president, you are not the immediate past president. The most recent past president is the immediate past president

By definition, the immediate past president is the most recent past president, not just any past president

6 hours ago, Guest Stephanie said:

I was asked to remain President of the Board for an additional year ...

Q. What happens to my Past President, whose 3 year term as a Board member ends this year?

You cannot jump over your bylaws' definitions of its "term of office".

You may have to manage the organization while sitting as Past President.

Archived