The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws change

Guest John

But, see RONR (10th ed.), p. 580, ll. 26-31, for an example of a resolution that would authorize the secretary to make these kinds of changes.

The cited langaige is in conjcuntion with a pending bylaws amendment. I am not so sure it would be proper to adopt such a motion if there were no amendments pending.

The cited langaige is in conjcuntion with a pending bylaws amendment. I am not so sure it would be proper to adopt such a motion if there were no amendments pending.

I think such a motion would still be in order, but it would then need to follow the same rules as an amendment to the Bylaws (notice, vote, etc.) For this reason, it is more convenient to make such a motion while an amendment is pending, but it is not required to do so.

I think such a motion would still be in order, but it would then need to follow the same rules as an amendment to the Bylaws (notice, vote, etc.) For this reason, it is more convenient to make such a motion while an amendment is pending, but it is not required to do so.

I am not sure that is supported by the RONR language, but I have to admit it makes sense.

The cited langaige [sic] is in conjcuntion [sic] with a pending bylaws amendment. I am not so sure it would be proper to adopt such a motion if there were no amendments pending.

I'm glad you brought this up, Weldon. I think my understanding always has been that RONR (10th ed.), p. 580, ll. 19-30, applies to technical and conforming corrections to an adopted amendment to the bylaws not involving any change in meaning, while ll. 7-15 refer to purely mechanical corrections to a pending question. I admit, though, that my interpretation makes it seem like two different things are sewn together awkwardly in the same paragraph, so you may well be right. smile.gif

I'm glad you brought this up, Weldon. I think my understanding always has been that RONR (10th ed.), p. 580, ll. 19-30, applies to technical and conforming corrections to an adopted amendment to the bylaws not involving any change in meaning, while ll. 7-15 refer to purely mechanical corrections to a pending question. I admit, though, that my interpretation makes it seem like two different things are sewn together awkwardly in the same paragraph, so you may well be right. smile.gif

My understanding of RONR is that the corrections may be bade without notification and voting.

A number of things apply: RONR is referred to if there is no bylaw or rule directing such action. Following that, common sense should prevail. If this posting is "to late to make corrections you won't compllete the task". Common sense would suggest I am free to correct the errors so that it's not "too late to make corrections, you won't complete the task".

I believe the above reference refers to correcting scriver's errors ant the best way to resolve this is to introduce the motion to make it a Standing Rule.

I have a blank page in the middle of my bylaws for no good reason. I intend to fix this without question.

No, though a motion can be adopted at the time to correct the text, which has been cited.

OK, but then I believe an officer is not supposed to make the motion. One couldd bring it to the attention of the Chair who could "entertain a motion", but it also leaves the Secretary suspect as "not having any friends" to present the motion on the officer's behalf.

What gave you that idea? An officer, if a member of the assembly, has as much right to make a motion as anyone else. The only caveats are that the presiding officer (except in a committee or a small board) normally should not make motions.

OK, I stand corrected.

Archived