The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Discharge a Committee

J. J.

For these questions, assume that the assembly meets monthly.

#1 A main motion related to X to appoint a committee is adopted in March, with instructions to report in May.

In June, the committee has not reported.

Member AB wants to discharge the committee, but he doesn't want to deal with the motion otherwise. He moves to discharge the committee under reports of special committees at the June meeting; that motion is adopted.

Q1. Member CD wants the motion considered, but is late. Can he introduce a motion related to X under new business?

Q2. If he was there, could he offer a motion related to X under reports of special committees, but after the committee was discharged?

#2 At the March meeting a main motion is referred to a special committee, by a subsidiary motion to Commit, with instructions to report in May. In June, it has not reported.

Member EF moves to discharge this committee under reports of special committees.

Q1, Does the motion become pending at this point?

Q2. Can EF move to discharge this committee at some point after, i.e. under Unfinished Business or New Business?

(I'm not crystal clear on this.),

For these questions, assume that the assembly meets monthly.

#1 A main motion related to X to appoint a committee is adopted in March, with instructions to report in May.

In June, the committee has not reported.

Member AB wants to discharge the committee, but he doesn't want to deal with the motion otherwise. He moves to discharge the committee under reports of special committees at the June meeting; that motion is adopted.

Q1. Member CD wants the motion considered, but is late. Can he introduce a motion related to X under new business?

Q2. If he was there, could he offer a motion related to X under reports of special committees, but after the committee was discharged?

#2 At the March meeting a main motion is referred to a special committee, by a subsidiary motion to Commit, with instructions to report in May. In June, it has not reported.

Member EF moves to discharge this committee under reports of special committees.

Q1, Does the motion become pending at this point?

Q2. Can EF move to discharge this committee at some point after, i.e. under Unfinished Business or New Business?

(I'm not crystal clear on this.),

I can see why you're not crystal clear on this. Is there a way to boil all this down to a question about Robert's Rules of Order?

I can see why you're not crystal clear on this. Is there a way to boil all this down to a question about Robert's Rules of Order?

This is a question regarding the order of business and a discharged committee. I agree with George, however, I could not find a direct citation in RONR, except for #1, Q2.

This is a question regarding the order of business and a discharged committee. I agree with George, however, I could not find a direct citation in RONR, except for #1, Q2.

My experience reading this forum for years is that fictional fact-situations are generally too incomplete and confusing to make possible the drawing of any certain conclusions. This one is no different.

My experience reading this forum for years is that fictional fact-situations are generally too incomplete and confusing to make possible the drawing of any certain conclusions. This one is no different.

I doubt if this one is so confusing. It contains all the information that I have. My sole concern, because I had a question on it, is where in the order of business these things could properly come up.

It's all on page 302 and 303.

• If discharging a committee of a main motion which itself created the committee, then it is a special case of Rescind/A.S.P.A.

• If discharging a committee of an issue which was referred via the subsidiary motion, then the question automatically becomes pending.

If all you want is the order of business, then in one case, it is moot, because the question is already (automatically) pending.

In the other case, The Book is clear: a new motion would be necessary to make place that issue before the body. It is technically new business, since it fails to satisfy the rule for unfinished business.

It's all on page 302 and 303.

• If discharging a committee of a main motion which itself created the committee, then it is a special case of Rescind/A.S.P.A.

• If discharging a committee of an issue which was referred via the subsidiary motion, then the question automatically becomes pending.

If all you want is the order of business, then in one case, it is moot, because the question is already (automatically) pending.

In the other case, The Book is clear: a new motion would be necessary to make place that issue before the body. It is technically new business, since it fails to satisfy the rule for unfinished business.

I will agree that both types of committees can be discharged under the Reports of Special Committees heading. If the committee was created by a subsidiary motion, the (plain Vanilla) discharge would cause the motion to be brought up at that point. What I'm wondering is if the subject of the "main motion created committee" could be introduced under Reports of Special Committees. I could see it being introduced under new business but I'm wondering if the assembly would have to wait for that.

• 2 weeks later...

What I'm wondering is if the subject of the "main motion created committee" could be introduced under Reports of Special Committees. I could see it being introduced under new business but I'm wondering if the assembly would have to wait for that.

It's an interesting question, J.J. I think if the committee (to which a matter was referred by a main motion) had been instructed to report at the meeting, the matter could be introduced by a motion, in every case, under Reports of Special Committees after the committee was discharged from the matter, even if it failed to report. However, if the committee was not scheduled to report at the meeting, things get a little cloudier, and the actual specifics of the situation may have to be weighed in determining if the introduction of a main motion on the matter is in order.

Also, I don't see why all of this wouldn't apply equally to standing committees, with the obvious adjustment of it taking place under Reports of Officers, Boards, and Standing Committees.

Archived