The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to table

Guest Mary Noe

4 minutes ago, Guest Mary Noe said:

If there is a motion to table, what is the significance if the parliamentarian makes a comment such as "a motion to table was an aggressive anti-collegial action" on a vote taken after such a comment?  

Other than it seems he misunderstands the motion to Lay on the Table http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#13 , and that parliamentarians shouldn't be making comments at all regarding the merits of any pending motion (other than advising the chair about procedure, privately), nothing.

Edited by George Mervosh

24 minutes ago, Guest Mary Noe said:

If there is a motion to table, what is the significance if the parliamentarian makes a comment such as "a motion to table was an aggressive anti-collegial action" on a vote taken after such a comment?  

The motion to Lay on the Table is rarely in order in ordinary societies.  

Most often what is intended is a motion to Postpone to a Certain Time, or to Postpone Indefinitely.

I agree that the parliamentarian should not be making comments on the merit of questions, but if I had to guess why, I'd say because this motion can be, as RONR puts it, in violation of a basic principle of general parliamentary law that only a two-thirds vote can rightfully suppress a main question without allowing free debate.

2 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

I'm fairly sure a parliamentarian who thought it was dilatory would use that word, rather than calling it "an aggressive anti-collegial action."

One man's "aggressive anti-collegial action," may another man's "dilatory."  :)

Also, he could have thought that Lay on the Table was a method to kill a motion. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.