The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Debate

Guest P. Sterle

I am president of a fraternity, and during our debate members will show agreement with the speaker by snapping or clapping spoons against the table. I despise this because of the practices origins. It started with a sorority and blah blah blah. Anyway, is it anywhere in RONR that you can't show agreement during debate.

Anyway, is it anywhere in RONR that you can't show agreement during debate.

No. Unless the snapping or clapping spoons is so loud that it is disruptive to the meeting, deal with it.

Kinda sad that the practice is looked down upon just because a sorority started it.

Well, we don't know that. Maybe the reason he despises the practice is somewhere in the "blah blah blah."

I've never heard of a coed sorority, I'm sure there are some though. All I was saying is that I don't really like the spoon thing or the snapping, and was hoping there was something in RONR to help me out.

Well, there isn't much I'm afraid, especially as spoon-clapping did not come into fashion until the 1950s, after the General's unfortunate passing.

There is reference on page 382 (lines 1-12) that has been made on your other posting (and now here) that discusses handling situations that "disturb the assembly". The catch in all this (your posting) is that it seems the assembly is the body doing the disturbing, and you seem to be the only one disturbed by their behavior.

Other references to control of the hall, and breaches of decorum, don't seem very applicable. They cover mostly individual member's misbehavior, and such things as controlling noise, heat and such as regards the comfort of the assembly and ability to hear.

So, personal curiosity forces me here.... before you were elected president (assuming you attended the meetings), was spoon-clapping in fashion? Has it been ongoing for some time now, a long-standing fraternity tradition? I'm not seeking a way to justify this behavior, just wondering.

Well, there isn't much I'm afraid, especially as spoon-clapping did not come into fashion until the 1950s, after the General's unfortunate passing.

Sure.

The index of the 1st edition shows "forks" and "knives"; but nary a word on "spoons".

;)

The rule on "flatware" in the 2nd edition may be persuasive, if not binding.

:P

I am president of a fraternity, and during our debate members will show agreement with the speaker by snapping or clapping spoons against the table. I despise this because of the practices origins. It started with a sorority and blah blah blah. Anyway, is it anywhere in RONR that you can't show agreement during debate.

I confirm my previous reply to this same question several days ago.

I confirm my previous reply to this same question several days ago.

Just to be picky, that section does include "The key words here are disturb the assembly." If the "assembly" (as a larger unit) is the body "creating" the "disturbance", I'd think that unless a majority of members share in the president's view, despising the practice, it becomes an iffy situation. If another member were to raise a Point of Order asking the spoon-clappers to cease and desist, and the chair ruled it well taken, upon Appeal I'd suspect the chair's decision would be overturned. Of course, we have no clear sense of how many members are involved, on either side of the argument, save for the president.

Just to be picky, that section does include "The key words here are disturb the assembly." If the "assembly" (as a larger unit) is the body "creating" the "disturbance", I'd think that unless a majority of members share in the president's view, despising the practice, it becomes an iffy situation. If another member were to raise a Point of Order asking the spoon-clappers to cease and desist, and the chair ruled it well taken, upon Appeal I'd suspect the chair's decision would be overturned. Of course, we have no clear sense of how many members are involved, on either side of the argument, save for the president.

As with so much in parliamentary practice, it is a matter of balance. If the spoon-clapping seriously inhibits the transaction of business, effectively keeps a member from exercising his right to speak in debate, or prevents the members from hearing the speaker, then the presiding officer has the duty of his office to restore order. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 434, ll. 18-20.

Slightly edited to add, "...or prevents...hearing the speaker...".

As with so much in parliamentary practice, it is a matter of balance. If the spoon-clapping seriously inhibits the transaction of business, effectively keeps a member from exercising his right to speak in debate, or prevents the members from hearing the speaker, then the presiding officer has the duty of his office to restore order. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 434, ll. 18-20.

Slightly edited to add, "...or prevents...hearing the speaker...".

Agreed in full. Although so far, what we've seen amounts to:

I'm against this, as I'm the president.

and

I despise this because of the practices origins.

so I just think the president will have some hefty opposition, as (apparently) a minority of one. Not to justify the practice, nor to disempower the chair, but simply to note (for his benefit primarily) the difficulty he faces in enforcing the rules of order during a meeting. I wish him luck.

How is that different from a co-ed sorority?

For whatever reason, co-ed Greek letter organizations are generally called fraternities rather than sororities.

All I was saying is that I don't really like the spoon thing or the snapping, and was hoping there was something in RONR to help me out.

Nope. You can't really do anything about it as President unless it's disturbing the assembly, such as if it was so loud people can't hear a speaker. If there are other members of the fraternity who dislike it, you might suggest that they try to adopt a standing rule barring the practice. Such a rule would require a majority vote for adoption, and as President you would be obligated to enforce the rule. If it's only you or a small group that dislikes the practice, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Archived