The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vice Chair's duties

Guest Wes

I was curious: if the chair is unable to attend a meeting, can the vice-chair ask not to chair this particular meeting (as it may get heated)? Can the vice-chair relinquish his right to chair and still be apart of the meeting as a full voting member? And would the next step be for the secretary to call for a motion to appoint a temporary chair or would the vice-chair do that before stepping down? Thank you.

Q1. If the chair is unable to attend a meeting,

can the vice-chair ask not to chair this particular meeting (as it may get heated)?

Q2. Can the vice-chair relinquish his right to chair and still be apart of the meeting as a full voting member?

Q3. And would the next step be for the secretary to call for a motion to appoint a temporary chair?

Or would the vice-chair do that before stepping down?

A1. Yes. A chair pro tem can be elected, so allow the regular chair to step down for that particular item of business.

A2. Yes. You don't lose rights of membership just because are (or, are no longer) the chair.

A3.

• No. Not the secretary. The secretary does not do all this unilaterally. Anyone can make the motion.

• Yes. The chair can designate the chair pro tem, using general consent.

I was curious: if the chair is unable to attend a meeting, can the vice-chair ask not to chair this particular meeting (as it may get heated)?

What is it about "this particular meeting?" Is this a Special Meeting at which one very controversial topic will be handled? Will it get any less heated if the Vice-chair is not IN the chair? Will another member be better able to keep the "cool" on the meeting?

If I recall my reading, the Chairman (whoever is in the chair) should only relinquish that position very rarely, and only for good cause (such as a topic he feels strongly about and may be able to offer good insight) but should retake the chair after the question is disposed. He doesn't relinquish the chair for a whole meeting, especially because it's gonna get hot in heah!!

So, what IS the deal, Wes?

I was curious: if the chair is unable to attend a meeting, can the vice-chair ask not to chair this particular meeting (as it may get heated)? Can the vice-chair relinquish his right to chair and still be apart of the meeting as a full voting member? And would the next step be for the secretary to call for a motion to appoint a temporary chair or would the vice-chair do that before stepping down? Thank you.

I think you may need a new Vice-Chair. Presiding at a meeting in the absence of the Chair is the duty of the Vice-Chair and that person, in my opinion, should not have accepted the position of unwilling to perform the duties of the position.

I think you may need a new Vice-Chair. Presiding at a meeting in the absence of the Chair is the duty of the Vice-Chair and that person, in my opinion, should not have accepted the position of unwilling to perform the duties of the position.

You're right. Unless legitimately impeded, the vice chairman has the duty of his office to take the chair temporarily in the absence of the regular presiding officer. Being unwilling to do so amounts to dereliction of duty.

He doesn't relinquish the chair for a whole meeting, especially because it's gonna get hot in heah!!

There are instances in which it may be appropriate to do just that. See RONR, 10th ed., pg. 432, lines 1-8. While I understand the concerns behind the growing consensus that the VP is being derelict in his duties, I think we should at least consider the possibility that the VP is relinquishing the chair for a perfectly legitimate reason.

There are instances in which it may be appropriate to do just that. See RONR, 10th ed., pg. 432, lines 1-8. While I understand the concerns behind the growing consensus that the VP is being derelict in his duties, I think we should at least consider the possibility that the VP is relinquishing the chair for a perfectly legitimate reason.

As your citation refers to an adjourned meeting or special meeting that deals with a (singular) problem that has divided the assembly, I'll go along with you. That's why I was asking about what made "this particular meeting" so "particular." For a singular controversial topic, fine. But not (necessarily) for a whole meeting. If a general, regular meeting, covering several regular topics of business, gets "heated" and maybe "out of hand", I think there is a larger issue that needs to be addressed, and not by the presiding officer stepping down.

Archived