The Official RONR Q & A Forums

can a motion be null/void?

Guest rentz

We have a motion before the assembly to remove someone from the membership roll. A special meeting has been called to consider this motion. Right before this meeting, the person we are voting to remove has resigned himself from membership. If his resignation is accepted, what do we do with the motion before the assembly "move to remove [name] from our membership role"? Does it just become null and void since we cannot remove someone who is not a member? Or...? thanks.

If his resignation is accepted, what do we do with the motion before the assembly "move to remove [name] from our membership role"? Does it just become null and void since we cannot remove someone who is not a member? Or...?

Well, it looks like you'll have the special meeting before you can meet (regularly or specially) to consider the resignation. So the pending motion is not yet moot. But how is it that this motion was made and not disposed of?

Note, too, that one of the few reasons for rejecting a resignation is to pursue disciplinary action against a member. In other words, you might want to reject the resignation so you can remove him from membership (which might, for instance, affect whether or how he could re-join the organization).

Well, it looks like you'll have the special meeting before you can meet (regularly or specially) to consider the resignation. So the pending motion is not yet moot. But how is it that this motion was made and not disposed of?

Note, too, that one of the few reasons for rejecting a resignation is to pursue disciplinary action against a member. In other words, you might want to reject the resignation so you can remove him from membership (which might, for instance, affect whether or how he could re-join the organization).

I guess what I am trying to find out is what would we do with a motion such as this if a resignation for the person in the motion is accepted. We have a special meeting called to consider this motion, that's why we have not disposed of it, yet.

I guess what I am trying to find out is what would we do with a motion such as this if a resignation for the person in the motion is accepted. We have a special meeting called to consider this motion, that's why we have not disposed of it, yet.

As far as I can tell, you will dispose of the motion before you can consider the resignation.

However, as you've observed, you can't remove someone as a member if he's no longer a member. So I guess you'd say the motion "falls to the ground". (I'm not sure if that's parliamentarily accurate but it's such a nice turn of phrase that's it's hard to resist.)

Have you all accepted the resignation (and if so how did you do so)? If the resignation has been (validly) accepted there would be nothing to do at the Special Meeting since he has already resigned and no rule in RONR allows a Special Meeting to be canceled. So what you all could do is have 2-3 members show up at the Special Meeting, note the absence of a quorum, and Adjourn.

But the special meeting will occur FIRST. In other words there is no way for you to accept the resignation before the special meeting which will consider a motion to remove him, unless you can call another special meeting before that one.

So, in the meantime, you can have your special meeting, and move to Postpone until the next regular meeting, but the thought occurs to me that making sure its consideration comes up after New Business, when the resignation would presumably be considered, would be necessary.

Or, you could move to Postpone Indefinitely (or simply vote it down) at the special meeting, and then, in the event that the resignation is not accepted (unlikely, but technically possible) renew the motion to remove the member, which would probably be rejected too, if the resignation was.

Or you could simply adopt the resolution to remove him, making the resignation moot.

. . . in the event that the resignation is not accepted (unlikely, but technically possible) renew the motion to remove the member, which would probably be rejected too, if the resignation was.

Though one reason to reject the resignation would be to approve the removal. For example, a resigned member might be eligible to re-join while a removed member might not be.

Though one reason to reject the resignation would be to approve the removal. For example, a resigned member might be eligible to re-join while a removed member might not be.

Well, yes. But if that is the will of the assembly there is no problem; as things stand the removal motion will come up first.

At the moment, the "resignation" is a piece of paper with words on it. Remove the member at the Special Meeting, throw the resignation in the garbage, and done.

Now, if you'd rather have him resign, vote down the removal, or arrange to have an inquorate Special Meeting to get past it, and then hope he doesn't withdraw his resignation before the next meeting.

Rentz --- what do YOU (your organization, that is) want to do about this? Is there any preference to removing him or letting him resign? Your creating a problem (what to do about that motion) where there isn't one, since you can get around it or act on it. You (most likely) can't accept his resignation before you must decide the fate of the motion (if it in fact already exists).

And you can't move to accept the resignation at the Special Meeting since the purpose of that meeting has been already specified.

But if the purpose of the special meeting is to remove Mr X from the membership rolls doesn't accepting his resignation do just that? So how does acting on it conflict with the purpose for which the special meeting was called.

But if the purpose of the special meeting is to remove Mr X from the membership rolls doesn't accepting his resignation do just that? So how does acting on it conflict with the purpose for which the special meeting was called.

Well, one could try to move to accept the resignation, see how the chair ruled, and be prepared to Appeal making that argument.

But the ruling would hinge on whether removing a member for cause, and granting a request, can be considered to have the same "purpose".

If i were in the chair, I would want to carefully read the call of the meeting before ruling on that point.

Archived