The Official RONR Q & A Forums

elections

Guest mreman

We have a slate of officers, minus the President, by laws state that the VP acts as the President in his abscense. If a general meeting or Board

Meeting is held and the VP is absent who can preside over the meeting legaly.????

We have a slate of officers, minus the President, by laws state that the VP acts as the President in his abscense. If a general meeting or Board

Meeting is held and the VP is absent who can preside over the meeting legaly.????

The secretary should call the meeting to order and conduct the election of a chairman pro tem. See p. 437.

Your question was answered, but I have one for you: What do you mean you are "minus the President"? You don't have one? If not, why not?

Your question was answered, but I have one for you: What do you mean you are "minus the President"? You don't have one? If not, why not?

NO ONE HAS AGREED TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT AS YET, WE HAVE ONE PERSON THAT HAS SAID IF KNOW ONE ELSE WILL RUN HE MAY THROUGH HIS HAT INTO THE RING.

SO I GUESS WE DO HAVE SOMEONE. I MAY HAVE SAID IN THE EVENT WE HOLD OUR ELECTION AND KNOW ONE HAS AGREED TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES.

MREMAN

PS WHEN THE SECRATARY ASK FOR A CHAIRMAN PRO TEM FOR THE MEETING? IS EVERYONE PRESENT ABLE TO FILL THE ROLL OF CHAIRMAN OR ONLY OFFICERS AND

BOARD MEMBERS.

NO ONE HAS AGREED TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT AS YET, WE HAVE ONE PERSON THAT HAS SAID IF KNOW ONE ELSE WILL RUN HE MAY THROUGH HIS HAT INTO THE RING.

SO I GUESS WE DO HAVE SOMEONE. I MAY HAVE SAID IN THE EVENT WE HOLD OUR ELECTION AND KNOW ONE HAS AGREED TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN.

PS WHEN THE [secretary] ASK FOR A CHAIRMAN PRO TEM FOR THE MEETING? IS EVERYONE PRESENT ABLE TO FILL THE ROLL OF CHAIRMAN OR ONLY OFFICERS AND

BOARD MEMBERS.

I CAN SHOUT, DON'T HEAR YOU.

If nobody volunteers to run for president, you still need to elect a president. Pass out blank paper ballots and let people write in a name. If nobody gets a majority, second ballot, third ballot, rinse, repeat, etc., until someone who will accept the position wins. Explain to the voters that any group where nobody is willing to be president is probably half dead anyway, and maybe you should fold your tents and give it up. That will often get a volunteer. You do not have the option of leaving the position open.

Yes, anyone is eligible to be chairman pro tem.

And remember, except for those officers who have actual duties at membership meetings (normally only the president and secretary), members of the board who attend membership meetings are only there as ordinary members, and have no power or authority greater than any other member.

They may have a duty to give reports of their activities to the membership, which is the superior body to which the board reports.

PS WHEN THE SECRATARY ASK FOR A CHAIRMAN PRO TEM FOR THE MEETING? IS EVERYONE PRESENT ABLE TO FILL THE ROLL OF CHAIRMAN OR ONLY OFFICERS AND BOARD MEMBERS.

I would like to mention that the position of chair (pro tem) carries with it certain duties and responsibilities that should not be overlooked, in particular, more than a passing familiarity with Robert's Rules, the organization's bylaws, and parliamentary procedure. If you don't have any "regular old member" who fits that bill, you might consider recruiting from the outside. Nothing says the chair pro tem must be a member, but you don't necessarily just need to have a warm body in the "chair", especially during elections. You need someone who can ensure the rules are followed, minimize (well, prevent, actually) reversible violations, and maintain order. Bringing in someone from the Rotary Club, a local church board, or some other neighboring organization might be a good idea.

Archived