The Official RONR Q & A Forums

roll call votes at city council meetings

Guest Brinson Kinzer

Good afternoon,

The question was posed by me as when do you ask for a roll call vote or a simple "aye" or "nay" vote?

Roll call votes are really only appropriate where the members who are voting are elected by a constituency to whom they are responsible, so that their votes can be seen by their constituents.

Roll call votes are really only appropriate where the members who are voting are elected by a constituency to whom they are responsible, so that their votes can be seen by their constituents.

...which will certainly be the case for important votes in a city council, since the votes will be used as fodder for the next election campaign.

...which will certainly be the case for important votes in a city council, since the votes will be used as fodder for the next election campaign.

Yes, I failed to read the Title. In some states it is required by statute that all substantive motions in a public body must be by roll call.

Good afternoon,

The question was posed by me as when do you ask for a roll call vote or a simple "aye" or "nay" vote?

"It should not be used in a mass meeting or in any assembly whose members are not resonsible to a consitutency." (RONR 10th Ed. p. 405 ll. 20-22)

"In local societies having a large membership but relatively small attendance at meetings, a motion to take a vote by roll call is generally dilatory." (RONR 10th Ed. p. 405 ll. 32-35)

So, what would be your purpose in moving for a roll call vote anyway?

Archived