The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board hostile to Robert's needs convincing reasons to use them

Abqgram

Homeowners Assn is out of control - ie it is under control of two "directors" out of 7. Some other directors almost see the need for use of RONR but are timid. What convincing reasons can a newcomer to the board use in favor of changing the by laws?

By the way those two have exceeded their terms. Apparently several times. No one wants to argue. Really, neither do I but right is right, right? :)

The arguments against probly will be that we've always done it this way and RONR s too complicated - we dont' need rules when "...we are all friends here" :lol: !

Homeowners Assn is out of control - ie it is under control of two "directors" out of 7. Some other directors almost see the need for use of RONR but are timid. What convincing reasons can a newcomer to the board use in favor of changing the by laws?

By the way those two have exceeded their terms. Apparently several times. No one wants to argue. Really, neither do I but right is right, right? smile.gif

The arguments against probly will be that we've always done it this way and RONR s too complicated - we dont' need rules when "...we are all friends here" laugh.gif !

If the association wants to write its own parliamentary manual, have at it.

By the way those two have exceeded their terms. Apparently several times. No one wants to argue. Really, neither do I but right is right, right? :)

The arguments against probly will be that we've always done it this way and RONR s too complicated - we dont' need rules when "...we are all friends here" :lol: !

Friends don't let friends meet without a parliamentary authority.

They don't want ANY rules - just make them up as they go along.

<My argument is that life is greatly simplified if we use RONR -

And I will offer to help learn them with the extra help of a parliamentarian - but I need more arguments than that - i think! You know true to life stories about the how much better things are with a standard procedure??

If the association wants to write its own parliamentary manual, have at it.

And I will offer to help learn them with the extra help of a parliamentarian - but I need more arguments than that - i think! You know true to life stories about the how much better things are with a standard procedure??

Look through RONR and find some examples of situations where both sides could have a fairly reasonable reason to see things their way but RONR is very clear as to the rules (example: absentee voting which is not allowed unless the bylaws specifically permits it-RONR pp. 408-409, or that Special Meetings must be authorized by the bylaws in order to be permitted-RONR pp. 89-90). Then present that scenario to the Board and let them fight it out for a while and then point out the page where RONR says what it says. Do that two or three times and then ask them if they REALLY want to have to fight each battle as it comes along or would they prefer to have a battle plan that is already written (by THE General to boot).

I'm in a situation where (gently) trying to work RONR into our meetings is coming along slowly, but coming along. When I chair, and we stay focused, follow procedure, etc, I find we stray off topic far less. I usually point out how quickly we have dealt with our business and people seem surprised that we're covering a lot of stuff in a relatively short amount of time.

Don't know if that helps in your situation, but maybe it's an angle to try. Efficient meetings ARE shorter.

My guess is that the association would be better off not adopting a parliamentary manual that it did not intend to learn and adhere to. If RONR is considered too hard, too complex, etc., etc., then go find some other solution that is more to its fancy, or do without.

Cool - I will use that - but also see my reply to Rob Elsman -

I'm not the worlds best salesman

Also see the quotes from HMR, TJ, et al, that appear in the signatures of some of the other members.

I think the key point is that while they are friends now, the use of standard procedure allows them to remain friends even at the inevitable times that they disagree about decision making.

Rules allow friends to remain friends in much the same manner as locks allow honest people to remain honest.

Archived