The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Filling Vacant Office from Death of 1VP

edtasejr

If your bylaws state how vacancies are to be filled, follow those rules. Otherwise, you must hold a special election for the unexpired term.

-Bob

Curious.... in a case of multiple VPs, if the president resigns the 1st VP becomes president and all others move "up the ladder" leaving a vacancy in the lowest-ranking vice president's office. (p. 557 ll. 19-24) Since the 2nd VP fills the vacancy in the 1st VP office (and so on up), is that in fact only due to the vacancy caused by the president leaving office mid-term? So it would not proceed in this fashion with a mid-term vacancy of 1st VP as is similarly created by a Presidential vacancy?

Curious.... in a case of multiple VPs, if the president resigns the 1st VP becomes president and all others move "up the ladder" leaving a vacancy in the lowest-ranking vice president's office. (p. 557 ll. 19-24) Since the 2nd VP fills the vacancy in the 1st VP office (and so on up), is that in fact only due to the vacancy caused by the president leaving office mid-term? So it would not proceed in this fashion with a mid-term vacancy of 1st VP as is similarly created by a Presidential vacancy?

True, but that's only in the case of a vacancy in the office of president. While RONR doesn't always state WHY a particular rule exists, one could guess this rule is to provide continuous leadership of the organization, even in the case when the vacancy in the office is unexpected and possibly tragic. RONR is says that the rule applies unless the bylaws provide another way "in the specific case of the presidency."

One could argue that other offices (e.g. treasurer) should have a default automatic succession. RONR has a specific rule that applies in only one case, vacancy in the office of president and not in the case of other vacancies. If the organization wanted to have the 2VP move up in teh case of vacancy in teh office of 1VP, they need to say it in their bylaws.

-Bob

True, but that's only in the case of a vacancy in the office of president. While RONR doesn't always state WHY a particular rule exists, one could guess this rule is to provide continuous leadership of the organization, even in the case when the vacancy in the office is unexpected and possibly tragic. RONR is says that the rule applies unless the bylaws provide another way "in the specific case of the presidency."

One could argue that other offices (e.g. treasurer) should have a default automatic succession. RONR has a specific rule that applies in only one case, vacancy in the office of president and not in the case of other vacancies. If the organization wanted to have the 2VP move up in teh case of vacancy in teh office of 1VP, they need to say it in their bylaws.

-Bob

Bob - this all makes very good sense of course, and thanks. What strikes me as odd (now that I think about it) is why, in the case of a presidency vacancy, it doesn't just stop at the 1st VP ascending the throne (giving continuity of leadership), and then having the vacancy in the 1st VP filled according to bylaw provisions for vacancy filling. But, that's not how it is, so I'll leave it be.

Bob - this all makes very good sense of course, and thanks. What strikes me as odd (now that I think about it) is why, in the case of a presidency vacancy, it doesn't just stop at the 1st VP ascending the throne (giving continuity of leadership), and then having the vacancy in the 1st VP filled according to bylaw provisions for vacancy filling. But, that's not how it is, so I'll leave it be.

Well with as many people who post here saying that after the President resigned/died/etc the VP didn't want to become President it is probably just as well that the lower level VPs go along for the ride as well so if the (newly promoted) President decides to resign there is someone to take the reins.

It does look like the domino-succession rule is only triggered by a presidential vacancy, and its purpose is clearly to provide continuity in that office.

But consider this group with the Pres and 2VP spots filled, and a current vacancy in the 1VP slot.

Now, if the President should shuffle off his parliamentary coil, I believe the the rule would be successfully triggered, and the 2VP would immediately sail right through the vacant 1VP slot, into the presidency.

Anyone disagree?

It does look like the domino-succession rule is only triggered by a presidential vacancy, and its purpose is clearly to provide continuity in that office.

But consider this group with the Pres and 2VP spots filled, and a current vacancy in the 1VP slot.

Now, if the President should shuffle off his parliamentary coil, I believe the the rule would be successfully triggered, and the 2VP would immediately sail right through the vacant 1VP slot, into the presidency.

Anyone disagree?

Yes.

(He calls for "Striper" his trusty steed [zebra, actually] and rides off into the sunset)

Thank you, The bylaws tell us how the move would take place for the President but nothing for the VP's.

Sorry, Edward, in all the side-chatter we seem to have ignored your last post.

If the bylaws are silent on the method of filling vacancies, the default method is to hold a special election in the body that initially elected the now-absent member, with prior notice to members that this will occur. The replacement thus elected would serve out the unexpired remainder of the original term.

Archived