The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to handle deadlock if even number of voters

nellans57

Our board has five members; if one member is absent then there are only four total votes. If a vote ends in a 2-2 tie on an issue that requires affirmative board action, how is the tie broken? Also, does the board president have the authority to second a motion?

A tie vote simply defeats a motion. Even if all five members were present, a member could abstain from voting and a tie vote could result.

And in a small board such as this, seconds are not required (though the chair is free to participate as fully as any member).

A tie vote simply defeats a motion. Even if all five members were present, a member could abstain from voting and a tie vote could result.

And in a small board such as this, seconds are not required (though the chair is free to participate as fully as any member).

We have always maintained that any proposed motion requires a second. If the vote on a motion for an either/or decision is deadlocked and the motion for the other option fails to secure a second, what happens then?

We have always maintained that any proposed motion requires a second. If the vote on a motion for an either/or decision is deadlocked and the motion for the other option fails to secure a second, what happens then?

If a motion doesn't get a majority vote then it is defeated. If a motion doesn't get a second then it would not be before the assembly for consideration. However, as was noted before seconds are not required in Boards with about a dozen members or less present.

Nothing.

And there is no such thing as "deadlocked".

A motion is either adopted or rejected. For adoption a (typical) motion requires a majority vote. A majority vote means MORE than half. A tie vote is EXACTLY half. Exactly half is less than a majority, so the motion is rejected, the same as if it were voted down by a landslide.

A tie vote rejects the motion.

We have always maintained that any proposed motion requires a second.

This is a fairly good practice to abide by, as it indicates that at least two members think the question should be considered by the assembly. As noted, in meetings of a small board such as yours, seconds are not required. (RONR 10th Ed., p. 470 l. 27)

However, even in large board meetings or membership meetings, once debate has begun, or in the absence of a debate if the chair puts the question and at least one vote has been cast, the lack of second is immaterial. (RONR 10th Ed., p. 35 l. 22-25)

Nothing.

And there is no such thing as "deadlocked".

A motion is either adopted or rejected. For adoption a (typical) motion requires a majority vote. A majority vote means MORE than half. A tie vote is EXACTLY half. Exactly half is less than a majority, so the motion is rejected, the same as if it were voted down by a landslide.

A tie vote rejects the motion.

While I agree that a tie vote defeats the motion, there can still be a deadlock, depending on the actions proposed or needed. Suppose the gazebo needs a new roof (and severe damage will result if the roof is not replaced. There is a motion to replace the roof at a cost of $1,000 and use asbestos shingles. Motion defeated by tie vote 2-2. Then there is a motion to replace the roof at a cost of $2,000 and use fiberglass shingles. Motion defeated 2-2.

I think this is a "deadlock".

Our board has five members; if one member is absent then there are only four total votes. If a vote ends in a 2-2 tie on an issue that requires affirmative board action, how is the tie broken? Also, does the board president have the authority to second a motion?

Obviously, a motion that can rationally be rejected on a tied vote does not require affirmative board action. mellow.gif

While I agree that a tie vote defeats the motion, there can still be a deadlock, depending on the actions proposed or needed. Suppose the gazebo needs a new roof (and severe damage will result if the roof is not replaced. There is a motion to replace the roof at a cost of $1,000 and use asbestos shingles. Motion defeated by tie vote 2-2. Then there is a motion to replace the roof at a cost of $2,000 and use fiberglass shingles. Motion defeated 2-2.

It can be called whatever the assembly wishes to call it, but as one regular contributor here would likely state most emphatically (assuming this to be correct), that term is not used in the 700+ pages of RONR, and thus has no parliamentary significance.

There is no deadlock. The board has decided, in both cases, not to do what the motions propose. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 31, ll. 31-34.

I don't think it's a deadlock. It just means that severe damage will result to the gazebo's roof if the board cannot agree on some action to repair it.

The only situation in which there can be a true "deadlock" in RONR are cases where the assembly must make a decision, such as an election, and the solution in such cases is to keep voting until the lock is broken.

It's no more of a deadlock than if both motions were rejected with 0 Ayes and 4 Nays.

Archived