The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw supersede Motion?

Guest Ken

A few months ago our Union passed a motion to pay one of our Union members to manage our pop machines. 2 months ago we passed a bylaw not to compensate our Union members for Union business or for the Union. Does the bylaw supersede the motion? Here is a copy of the bylaw.

1. The Treasurer has been prior authorized by the Union to write checks for the following items. Each item is followed by the frequency of occurrence and the maximum amount authorized.

4. Except where previously stated, no member of the Delta Township Firefighters Union shall be monetarily compensated by the Union for time spent on Union issues or work on behalf of the Union.

A few months ago our Union passed a motion to pay one of our Union members to manage our pop machines. 2 months ago we passed a bylaw not to compensate our Union members for Union business or for the Union. Does the bylaw supersede the motion? Here is a copy of the bylaw.

1. The Treasurer has been prior authorized by the Union to write checks for the following items. Each item is followed by the frequency of occurrence and the maximum amount authorized.

4. Except where previously stated, no member of the Delta Township Firefighters Union shall be monetarily compensated by the Union for time spent on Union issues or work on behalf of the Union.

You asked this same question a few weeks back, didn't you?

It does look familiar. In the event that it's just coincidence (I haven't looked to see if Guest Ken was the poster back then), Guest Ken, take note that Mr Mervosh didn't answer your question directly: he stated a principle. I think (because I just asked him) he meant to be expanding on a "yes" answer.... But I'll say, as I think was said a few weeks ago, in the discussion thread that Mr Novosielski (wow, that's like Captcha, I get it right like 1:3) alludes to, we don't interpret bylaws here: it's for your union to decide whether there is a conflict. (I personally think it's not cut-and-dried.)

[Edit: struck "if," inserted "whether."]

[Edited to insert a verb]

Archived