The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Absentee member making changes to minutes

Guest Christi Rousseau

Guest Christi Rousseau

Is it acceptable for a committee member who was absent from a meeting to make recommendations for revision of the minutes of that meeting? I have received electronic (email) requests for changes to the minutes of a meeting - and that member didn't even attend the meeting.

Is it acceptable for a committee member who was absent from a meeting to make recommendations for revision of the minutes of that meeting? I have received electronic (email) requests for changes to the minutes of a meeting - and that member didn't even attend the meeting.

Yes, but whether this is reasonable depends on the nature of the proposed corrections.

Two very valid proposed corrections that I can think of would be references to this member's attendance when he/she knows they were not in attandance and certain spelling/factual type identification of persons and organizations.

Also, it may be valid to propose deletion of what was said at the meeting vs. what was done.

What kind of corrections are being proposed/requested?

Guest Christi Rosseau

Yes, but whether this is reasonable depends on the nature of the proposed corrections.

Two very valid proposed corrections that I can think of would be references to this member's attendance when he/she knows they were not in attandance and certain spelling/factual type identification of persons and organizations.

Also, it may be valid to propose deletion of what was said at the meeting vs. what was done.

What kind of corrections are being proposed/requested?

The requestor is recommending changes to the actual meeting discussion, comments, and action items.

As gerry4000 pointed out, the discussion and comments don't belong in minutes, in the first place. (And as Mr Novosielski pointed out, ...)

If the action items (are those "motions"?) were recorded inaccurately, then anyone should suggest the correction. Even an absentee, regardless of how he or she knows of the inaccuracy.

Archived