The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Challenged Chair and no Parliamenatarian

Guest Randy G

In a small board of directors and an absence of an elected Parliamentarian, who assumes the responsibility of handling a "Challenge to the Chair"?

I'm taking a different view of this than Chris H.

As I read this, it seems to me that in your organization the Parliamentarian would handle Points of Order and/or Appeals. That is, if the Chair makes some sort of ruling, and a member "challenges the chair", it would be the Parliamentarian who responds and offers some sort of support for either the Chair or the member, depending on his understanding of the parliamentary situation.

So, how about a little more info?

As I read this, it seems to me that in your organization the Parliamentarian would handle Points of Order and/or Appeals. That is, if the Chair makes some sort of ruling, and a member "challenges the chair", it would be the Parliamentarian who responds and offers some sort of support for either the Chair or the member, depending on his understanding of the parliamentary situation.

If this is the case, the organization misunderstands the purpose of the Parliamentarian and should cease this practice immediately.

I'm taking a different view of this than Chris H.

If so, this is completely inappropriate. The function of the parliamentarian is to advise the chair on matters of procedure. The chair is free to accept or reject the advice of the parliamentarian, and there is no condition under which the parliamentarian can overrule the chair.

If the chair's ruling is Appealed from (which is the only way in RONR to "challenge" a chair's decision) then it is the assembly, not the parliamentarian who decides the matter.

If you have some strange bylaws provisions that supersede the rules in RONR, then there's not much we can do to help you, except to advise you to remove them.

Obviously, the challenge would be taken up by the chair's second. :)

I wonder what their weapons of choice would be. Gavels would be a good close in weapon as would The Chair. The hard back version of RONR or Parliamentary Law would be good close in or medium range weapons (throwing it too far away would allow the opponent to move out of the way). A good long distance weapon would be shooting Points of Order at the other guy. :lol:

Archived