The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Another agenda question

Guest Linda

Sure assuming that the members want to do it that way.

For those societies that are bound by rule to observe the standard order of business or a previously-adopted special order of business, the adoption of an agenda that does not conform requires a two-thirds vote, since the rules must be suspended for this purpose. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 98, l. 33, through p. 99, l. 3.

As a practical matter, I'd suggest keeping the approval of minutes right up at the top, if for no other reason than that they often serve as a reminder of something that was to happen at this meeting that somehow slipped through the cracks.

I know--special orders and unfinished business, for example, are supposed to "automatically" come up at the right times, but it certainly helps the automation process to have many pairs of eyes going over the minutes to see exactly what was unfinished, and get them approved before basing this meeting's business on them. I could mention other examples, but this is not something from RONR, it's just speaking from experience.

It only takes a minute to approve the minutes, and then let the flexibility (if any) commence.

Usually. :)

Agreed, but if it is to be a contentious process, with people disagreeing on what was agreed on, that's all the more reason to get it out of the way first. If, for example the dispute concerned the speaker's fee for the person about to address the meeting, the outcome would be much better known to everyone sooner rather than later.

Archived