The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending a motion

Guest Michael Duffy

In July, the membership approved a motion to spend $2500 on a smoking room. Since then many members of our organization have expressed their concern about this expenditure. I would like to amend the approved motion. Is that permissible under RROO? Amending an approved motion?

Mike Duffy, Secretary

Grayling, MI Eagles #3465

In July, the membership approved a motion to spend $2500 on a smoking room. Since then many members of our organization have expressed their concern about this expenditure. I would like to amend the approved motion. Is that permissible under RROO? Amending an approved motion?

Mike Duffy, Secretary

Yes as long as the $2500 hasn't already been spent. See RONR pp. 293-299 for details.

Mike Duffy, Secretary

Yes, the motion you are looking for is Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted. Be sure to check the special vote requirements for the motion. See RONR (10th ed.), §35, pp. 293ff.

Mike Duffy, Secretary

Yes as long as the $2500 hasn't already been spent. See RONR pp. 293-299 for details.

Would the money already being spent necessarily preclude a motion to amend something previously adopted? Could not the membership (after the money's been spent) amend the motion to have the room which 2500$ has been spent on be designated a sitting area rather than a smoking room?

Sure, sort of.

But such a change doesn't sound to me (but I haven't read the original motion, of course) as though you were "amending" - making changes to the words of - the original motion. Sounds more like a new motion to "re-purpose" the room in question. Nothing wrong with offering such a motion, it is just not (I'm guessing here) an "amendment", but is a new main motion.

Would the money already being spent necessarily preclude a motion to amend something previously adopted? Could not the membership (after the money's been spent) amend the motion to have the room which 2500$ has been spent on be designated a sitting area rather than a smoking room?

I think it depends. Again, the general principle is that the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted is not in order if the motion has already been fully carried out. If say, the money's been spent but the room itself is not yet completed, a motion for ASPA to change it to a sitting room might be in order. Presumably, if such a motion was adopted, the ashtrays the society had purchased for the room will not be placed in it*. On the other hand, if the room is fully completed and has already been used for its intended purpose, changing it to a sitting room seems more like a new main motion than a motion to amend something previously adopted.

* Or fewer ashtrays, anyway. They would not necessarily have to be eliminated, as sitting and smoking are not mutually exclusive.

Archived