The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Not as Simple as Yes or No!

Guest Sandra M

Our church has been going through a difficult time. The Associate Pastor was "railroaded" out of hes position. The Session has finally obtained a resolution with a resignation of the pastor. The will be a congregational meeting tomorrow to vote on accepting his "resignation".

Is voting "no" the only option to objecting to the way in which the entire process was handled? If possible I would much rather request a third option to somehow vote yes, but... with objection to the entire process.....

Our church has been going through a difficult time. The Associate Pastor was "railroaded" out of hes position. The Session has finally obtained a resolution with a resignation of the pastor. The will be a congregational meeting tomorrow to vote on accepting his "resignation".

Is voting "no" the only option to objecting to the way in which the entire process was handled? If possible I would much rather request a third option to somehow vote yes, but... with objection to the entire process.....

The motion to accept the resignation is debatable so you the members who have objections can state them in debate. But when the vote is taken the only options are to vote "yes" "no" or to not vote at all.

The question at this point is not how much anyone supported the the process. That question might well have been considered at some point, and presumably was, but that's not what's going on at this point. The question on the resignation is a narrow yes/no on whether the resignation should be accepted or not.

Those who think that the pastor's request no longer to be pastor should be granted (for whatever reason, process notwithstanding) should vote Yes. Those who believe otherwise should vote No.

Perhaps I am wrong here (and if I am, I'm sure someone will come along to correct me), but could Sandra M. alternatively move that the motion be amended to read something more like "That the resignation of the pastor be accepted with regrets as to the events that led to it" or something similar?

The vote is the vote. I suppose you could later send a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line the church...

Our church has been going through a difficult time. The Associate Pastor was "railroaded" out of hes position. The Session has finally obtained a resolution

the Elders who are responsible for this are self-serving pisants who ought to be strung up and lashed 100 times with their own cinctures

with a resignation of the pastor. The will be a congregational meeting tomorrow to vote on accepting his "resignation".

As I read between the lines, it seems your objection has less (or little) to do with the Pastor and more (or all) to do with those members of the Session responsible for precipitating the resignation. Thus, your organization could adopt a motion of censure against them as a means of expressing your feelings, without muddling up the resignation vote process needlessly.

If the heart of the problem is how the Pastor came to resign, then a motion either censuring members, or to set up a Committee to adopt a new policy or rules for members could be offered.

However, an amendment to allow the motion to read something like "That the Pastor's resignation be accepted with sincere regrets" would be in order.

However, an amendment to allow the motion to read something like "That the Pastor's resignation be accepted with sincere regrets" would be in order.

And if a majority have no regrets about getting rid of the Pastor and thus vote no, the Pastor stays on. Save the speechifying for debate, a condolences card, or the going away party. KISS.

And if a majority have no regrets about getting rid of the Pastor and thus vote no, the Pastor stays on. Save the speechifying for debate, a condolences card, or the going away party. KISS.

Well, now, why will rejection of the proposed amendment to the motion to accept the Pastor's resignation mean that the Pastor stays on?

Archived