The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unruly Behavior

Guest Richard

What would be the most appropriate way for a Town Mayor or member of Town Council to minimize unruly behavoir by members of the audience during a Town Council Meeting?

Our Mayor likes to allow input from the citizens during Town Council meetings, but we have one (sometimes more) citizens that get carried away when allowed to speak on the business on the Town.

We are a 7 Member Council with a Mayor who chairs. We Follow RONR 10th Edition.

Thanks!

Richard

+++++++

What would be the most appropriate way for a Town Mayor or member of Town Council to minimize unruly behavoir by members of the audience during a Town Council Meeting?

Our Mayor likes to allow input from the citizens during Town Council meetings, but we have one (sometimes more) citizens that get carried away when allowed to speak on the business on the Town.

We are a 7 Member Council with a Mayor who chairs. We Follow RONR 10th Edition.

Thanks!

Richard

+++++++

the Mayor should call the member to Order. Ask the member if his/her grandchildren should see his/her behavior. Or tell the member to leave the chambers -- only members of the body meeting have the right to attend.

If only RONR applied pages 628-629 say the Chair (Mayor) can order a disorderly nonmember removed from the meeting (that order is subject to being Appealed by Council members). However, since we are talking about a Town Council you should look to the Town Charter and any other applicable laws and rules as well as they might give members of the public more rights than RONR does.

I suppose a Member of the Council (me) can "Call for the orders of the day" to move the meeting on to the next agenda item.

(just found the below elsewhere)

A call for the orders of the day, in parliamentary procedure, is a motion to require a deliberative assembly to conform to its agenda or order of business.

The "call" may be made by one member, and does not require a second. The chair must then proceed to the scheduled item of business, unless the assembly decides otherwise by a two-thirds vote.

Richard

+++++++

I suppose a Member of the Council (me) can "Call for the orders of the day" to move the meeting on to the next agenda item.

A call for the orders of the day, in parliamentary procedure, is a motion to require a deliberative assembly to conform to its agenda or order of business.

The "call" may be made by one member, and does not require a second. The chair must then proceed to the scheduled item of business, unless the assembly decides otherwise by a two-thirds vote.

Richard

+++++++

Why not just curb the unruly behavior?

Richard

+++++++

The fact that a member of the audience is engaging in unruly behavior does not mean that the assembly is not conforming to its agenda or order of business.You should be calling for order, not for the orders of the day. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Please give me your input. I am the secretary of our towns Sportsman Club. We have a General Membership meeting everymonth, in these meetings we have one member that will not allow any one that has the floor finish their comments with out his interuptions. He has a very negative attitude and uses intimidation to to push his comments on the board and the general membership. He has been asked to allow the floor to speak but he does not. The President tries to make order in the meeting but that doen't help either. The members have asked him to keep his comments to himself until he has the floor, and again, he does not listen to them either. What can we do with this member?

Thank you in advance for any response.

Please give me your input. I am the secretary of our towns Sportsman Club. We have a General Membership meeting everymonth, in these meetings we have one member that will not allow any one that has the floor finish their comments with out his interuptions. He has a very negative attitude and uses intimidation to to push his comments on the board and the general membership. He has been asked to allow the floor to speak but he does not. The President tries to make order in the meeting but that doen't help either. The members have asked him to keep his comments to himself until he has the floor, and again, he does not listen to them either. What can we do with this member?

Thank you in advance for any response.

The procedure to be followed in dealing with an unruly member during a meeting is set forth on pages 626-28 in the 10th edition of RONR (and on pp. 645-48 in the 11th)..

Archived