The Official RONR Q & A Forums

matarazzo16

In our legislative bodies we have a five minute rule per speaker on debate during the business meeting. The question has arisen on time limits as they pertain to questioning a department head. Since it is not debate and one answer could take up the time of the speaker, how should this be handled?

It is up to you all to work out the details of your customized rule.

Hail Skins said "It is up to you all to work out the details of your customized rule."

Thank you for your response. I saw nothing in Roberts to address this which led me to the conclusion that the Q&A should take place in committee not at the business meeting, but that is not going to happen.

Does any one have any customized rules addressing this? I am not a member of the body, but serve as clerk to one of them. The objective that I am trying to achieve is to not stifle the speakers but to prevent the use of the business meeting as a soap box.

Perhaps this will be helpful (or not) "When a committee is to make substantive recommendations or decisions on an important matter, it should give members of the society an opportunity to appear before it and present their views on the subject at a time scheduled by the committee. Such a meeting is usually called a hearing. During actual deliberations of the committee, only committee members have the right to be present." RONR, p. 483

The committee can allow a bit more freedom to those non-committee members who wish to speak, but just set some common sense limits on time and make sure decorum is always preserved. Venting in a hearing keeps down the venting elsewhere (sometimes).

• 1 month later...

In our legislative bodies we have a five minute rule per speaker on debate during the business meeting. The question has arisen on time limits as they pertain to questioning a department head. Since it is not debate and one answer could take up the time of the speaker, how should this be handled?

If necessary, the rule should be amended to take such situations into account.

Archived