The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Executive Session after Motion Discussion?

Guest Arthur

If guests are allowed at a Board meeting and the Board allows guests to participate in motion discussion, can the Board call for Executive Session to remove guests prior to vote? Or if the motion is already 2nd in order to discuss, can we no longer call for Executive Session? We do not want guests, who we want to be able to share information for the motion, to be present during vote since it presents a conflict of interest and possible intimidation.

If guests are allowed at a Board meeting and the Board allows guests to participate in motion discussion, can the Board call for Executive Session to remove guests prior to vote? Or if the motion is already 2nd in order to discuss, can we no longer call for Executive Session? We do not want guests, who we want to be able to share information for the motion, to be present during vote since it presents a conflict of interest and possible intimidation.

Yes, the board can go into executive session prior to the question being put to a vote.

So motion can be introduced, discussion had, then Board can make a motion to go into Executive Session prior to vote and ask guests to leave? What is the exact protocal? TY

Pretty much what you said. A Board member would get recognized by the Chair and make a motion to go into Executive Session. The motion is seconded (unless it is a small Board of about a dozen members or less in which case seconds aren't required [RONR pp. 470-471] and is debatable and majority rules. You can see a script of how the motion is made on RONR p. 222.

However, is your intent merely to get everyone who is not a Board member out of the room for this period of time or do you additionally want to keep Board members for discussing with other people what took place during this period of time? If you want to gag the Board members as well than going into Executive Session is the correct motion to use. But, if the intent is to get everyone who is not a Board member out of the room than a simple motion to excuse everyone who is not a Board member (you can give exceptions for anyone who you wish to stay) would be a slightly more appropriate motion to use.

Chris, I don't recall hearing about this motion to excuse non-members (they are required to cover their mouths when they sneeze, unlike the board members) before before. Is it one of the named incidental motions (p. 66 - 69 in the Old Right Book) (and if so, which)? If a main motion, an IMM, as relating to procedure (not that it matters)?

Chris, I don't recall hearing about this motion to excuse non-members (they are required to cover their mouths when they sneeze, unlike the board members) before before. Is it one of the named incidental motions (p. 66 - 69 in the Old Right Book) (and if so, which)? If a main motion, an IMM, as relating to procedure (not that it matters)?

I don't know if RONR specifically addresses that subject. But why should the Board be forced to go into Executive Session thereby preventing the Board members from discussing what happened in the Executive Session when the sole intent is to get the nonmembers out of the room and the Board doesn't care one whit if their members then go to every newspaper and TV station who is willing to listen and tell them everything that happened?

Yeah why indeed? So is it a simple main motion ... or, to be formal, should the board go into executive session, and then lift the secrecy? That would be a not very tedious work-around, but is it necessary?

I don't think it can be a main motion in the scenario that Arthur describes since the intent is to toss the nonmembers while a motion is pending be it while debate is ongoing or right before the vote is taken. In Arthur's case I think it would be a question of privilege (the assembly wanting to control its hall by removing nonmembers). I suppose that the Board could go into Executive Session and then lift the secrecy but I think it is killing one bird with two stones when the Board could remove the nonmembers and have no secrecy with only one motion under the banner of it wanting to control its hall per p. 625.

Yeah why indeed? So is it a simple main motion ... or, to be formal, should the board go into executive session, and then lift the secrecy? That would be a not very tedious work-around, but is it necessary?

It's a main motion, and if the making of a main motion is not in order at the time, the privileged motion Raise a Question of Privilege can be used.

Archived