The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Member Required Response to Questions Posed by the Public

Guest Dan

Good evening Mr. Elsman,

The rules posted are extremely vague with regards to this matter. The most aplicable rule that I could find states:

"District residents may suggest inclusions on the agenda. Items not specifically on the agenda may still be discussed during the meeting."

Does "discussed" in this context require a response? I would assume that a board in session would/should be required to offer some response based on the rule stated above.

Sincerely,

Dan

Dan, your guess is not just as good as ours; it's a lot better. We here can't give an informed opinion on your rules from this remove. RONR does provide useful principles of interpretation, which were on p. 570 - 573 until three weeks ago, so you can probably find them around p. 586 now.

Are Board members required to respond to questions that are posed to them directly from a constituent?

If time for research is required, is there a method by which they have to make their findings official and available to that constituent and the public?

No, there are no such requirements.

Dan, your guess is not just as good as ours; it's a lot better. We here can't give an informed opinion on your rules from this remove. RONR does provide useful principles of interpretation, which were on p. 570 - 573 until three weeks ago, so you can probably find them around p. 586 now.

Pages 588-591.

Good evening Mr. Elsman,

The rules posted are extremely vague with regards to this matter. The most aplicable rule that I could find states:

"District residents may suggest inclusions on the agenda. Items not specifically on the agenda may still be discussed during the meeting."

Does "discussed" in this context require a response? I would assume that a board in session would/should be required to offer some response based on the rule stated above.

Sincerely,

Dan

I would not make such an assumption.

First, thanks to everyone who responded.

I have additional information from one of the board members, unofficially of course, if this helps anyone else out.

Their interpretation of "discussion" is amongst the other board members only. The opportunity to speak by the public is granted to them from the board in order to bring information to light that the board might not have known about. The discussion, if any, is to take place amongst the board members and the person presenting that information may be called upon to answer their questions.

I see the reasoning as far as controlling the duration and direction of a meeting, but highly contested issues should be granted some flexibility. It is difficult to have an official dialogue with the board as a whole since the opportunity usually only presents itself during such occasions.

Best wishes,

Dan

Archived