The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Error in minutes of prior meeting

Guest Charles Farley

'Tis a pity you didn't propose an amendment to make a correction when those minutes were up for their original approval -- maybe you did but you didn't say so. That is the way it is supposed to go down - p. 473 ff.

You can still propose an amendment to something (i.e., the minutes) previously adopted -- see p. 305 ff. for special how-to rules.

Minutes of a prior meeting inaccurate and I voted against (only vote against) approving them. What is the proper procedure then?

Approved minutes may be changed ("amended") by adopting a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted (ASPA). A two-thirds vote will do it but, if you're the only member that thinks there's something wrong, it seems unlikely that the motion would be adopted.

Approved minutes may be changed ("amended") by adopting a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted (ASPA). A two-thirds vote will do it but, if you're the only member that thinks there's something wrong, it seems unlikely that the motion would be adopted.

There's nothing like a little well-thought-out debate to change minds... and minutes.

Minutes of a prior meeting inaccurate and I voted against (only vote against) approving them. What is the proper procedure then?

The proper procedure then is that the minutes stand approved.

The proper procedure before then would have been to offer a correction to the minutes. If your correction is (was) rejected, then you were presumably mistaken about their being inaccurate, or at least were unable to convince the other members of that.

As has been noted, you may move to Amend Something Previously Adopted but, given the vote on approval, you may be wasting your time unless you have clear and convincing evidence that the minutes were, in fact, incorrect.

Archived