The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appendages to ByLaws

Guest Jan

When an organization already has adopted ByLaws, is it proper to add an 'addendum' and specify in the main body of the ByLaws to reference that 'addendum'? I have always understood that the ByLaws should be one document - not a series of added documents. Is my thinking incorrect? I have read through Roberts and cannot find any references to addendums of ByLaws.

Thanks so much for your help.

When an organization already has adopted ByLaws, is it proper to add an 'addendum' and specify in the main body of the ByLaws to reference that 'addendum'? I have always understood that the ByLaws should be one document - not a series of added documents. Is my thinking incorrect? I have read through Roberts and cannot find any references to addendums of ByLaws.

If this "addendum" is intended to modify the bylaws, it is an amendment and can only be adopted by the vote requirement set forth in the bylaws for their own amendment. If such an amendment is adopted, it becomes part of the bylaws.

The addendum was an addition to the bylaws and was indeed adopted under the requirements. I guess my question is more in the physical sense of the word 'document'. I perceive the ByLaws to be 1 document. In my mind, the accepted addendum creates 2 documents, albeit connected to each other by reference in each document to the other. I always thought that if an addition (amendment) to the ByLaws was accepted, that the ByLaws would be reproduced with the addition (amendment) put iin its proper place within the ByLaws document. Is my thinking off?

Yes, this is proper. In fact, if you look at Article VIII of the sample bylaws in RONR (11th ed.), p. 588. ll. 4-8, you will find that the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised is, in effect, incorporated by reference.

>>---> Edited the line numbers of the citation.

Okay - Thank you. I guess I'll just have to adjust my thinking. ^_^ Again, thanks for the clarification.

Well, although it is correct, it is not necessarily preferred. The US Constitution, for instance, lists each Amendment as an addendum to the original, occasionally with references in the original text to point out parts that have been superseded by one or more subsequently adopted amendments. But in an ordinary society, amendments are normally offered in terms of what language is struck out or inserted, and the bylaws themselves, in printed copies, are modified to show only the current language as amended.

What is lost in historical traceability is regained in useability.

And in truth, no traceability is lost, because the minutes provide a complete record of what changes have been made.

The addendum was an addition to the bylaws and was indeed adopted under the requirements. I guess my question is more in the physical sense of the word 'document'. I perceive the ByLaws to be 1 document. In my mind, the accepted addendum creates 2 documents, albeit connected to each other by reference in each document to the other. I always thought that if an addition (amendment) to the ByLaws was accepted, that the ByLaws would be reproduced with the addition (amendment) put iin its proper place within the ByLaws document. Is my thinking off?

Okay, this clears things up, and Mr. Elsman's response hits it on the head.

Yes, this is proper. In fact, if you look at Article VIII of the sample bylaws in RONR (11th ed.), p. 588. ll. 13-16, you will find that the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised is, in effect, incorporated by reference.

Rob, I'm, hoping you mean some other lines; and if you are, how does Article (Roman) 8 incorporate RONR?

It may be a question about the use of the word 'incorporate', as in 'make a part of' -- the same question that Gary and others were discussing in another very recent thread. Gary?

This was the thread I was reminded of:

It does become a part of the society. It becomes a part of the society's rules. Gary?

It may be a question about the use of the word 'incorporate', as in 'make a part of' -- the same question that Gary and others were discussing in another very recent thread. Gary?

This was the thread I was reminded of:

http://robertsrules....what-can-i-add/

But that's a thread that ran off its tracks, so I wouldn't suggest going back to it, and I suspect we ought not run this one off its tracks either.

I understand what you want to discuss, but I suggest that (if you really want to pursue it properly) a new thread be started focusing directly on the question.

Archived