The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correcting "off-the-record" error

Guest Vern

At a recent condo board meeting the president suddenly and without warning said that the next item of discussion on the agenda would be addressed "off the record". During this "off the record" session no motions were made; only a board member was scolded for putting in writing that the board had been negligent in it duties by not performing maintenance on common elements thus resulting in damage to an owner's property. I have asked this forum for comments about this action and have been quite satisfied with the answers. Thank you.

Since the "off-the-record" event is not authorized in a regular meeting or in a properly called executive session, my next question is this:

What board action, if any, is appropriate at the next board meeting to correct the "off the record" error?

As I understand the facts, the president (of the board?) "scolded" another board member for some kind of written criticism when no motion of censure of disciplinary action was pending. In my opinion, this was an improper breach of decorum. The rule is that members cannot deal in personalities or speak in a manner that reflects on a member's conduct, unless there is pending a motion of censure or some kind of disciplinary action.

Since nobody raised a timely point of order at the time, it would be quite inappropriate to bring up the matter in the next meeting. A private reminder to the president probably would do no harm (depending on the personality, or thickness of the skin, of the president).

I disagree that "...it would be quite inappropriate to bring up the matter at the next meeting." The member's conduct and/or character is at stake, and it is appropriate, in my opinion, for the member to raise a question of personal privilege to demand that the board either recommend that the parent assembly prefer charges against him or exonerate him.

Archived