The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Staff representatives at Executive Board meetings

Bzzldy

I'm a new Executive Board member and I would like clarification on whom can attend our meetings. Our LU Executive Board meets between regular meetings of LU. Matters referred to the board by the business manager or any of his assistants takes precedence over all other matters before the board. Our Constitution and by-laws specifically state that the board shall see that all members, officers, or others who are not entitled to remain in the board meetings, shall retire after they have been heard and submitted their business to the board.

How would I impose this rule when our business manager insists on having his assistants in our meeting? I have questioned our President, and he was not sure since its something that has occurred through the years. They have no voice but attend the meeting if there are questions brought up that needs an answer.

Our meetings are out of order with the Business Manager having his assistants making various reports of activities during our meeting. The meeting which should be an hour is currently running two to three hours.

I have taken the forum's advice and am currently reading RONR in brief and referencing RONR 11th.

RONR 11th pp 644 29

"Nonmembers,...... can be excluded at any time from part or all of a meeting of a society, or from all of its meetings."

When the Board is done with the business including nonmembers a Board member can make a motion to excuse all nonmembers (any exceptions can be noted) from the meeting. Takes a majority vote. At that point the President needs to enforce the wishes of the Board and get the nonmembers to leave.

Thanks Bruce. There is no policy regarding this. However, I might note, this issue is gone up to international level. We had an "informational" slide presentation on our job duties. In it, the international rep included in his presentation the assistants may attend the Board meetings. I questioned where it was documented that they could attend. I pointed out the by-laws and Constitution to him. He has not responded to me. My next step is to take it to the International VP. The bully tactics of our newly elected BM needs to be stopped.

Hmm, since p. 648 says "non-members have no rights with respect to the proceedings..." and also that "[the assembly's] full authority in this regard...can be exercised by the chair acting alone", I think ordering their removal is within the rules.

Does the 11th say this " An assembly has the right to protect itself from annoyance by nonmembers, and its full authority in this regard - as distinguished from cases involving disorderly members - can be exercised by the chair acting alone." (p. 628 in the 10th)

I'm thinking the annoyance is really a disturbance considering what follows after the hyphen. I'm just wandering if the chair can kick out someone who's sitting there not making a peep on his own authority......I really don't know. *edit* - But I think the answer is, no.

Another Pres duty...

"He shall promptly have removed from the meeting room any intoxicated member, any disturber, or anyone not conducting himself in an orderly way, or anyone who disturbs the harmony or peace of the meeting, or who fails to promptly abide by his rulings or the action of the meeting...."

I should note although they don't say anything, one of the assistants is a staff attorney, first in history, who takes her own minutes in the meeting. The Board is concerned with her attendance and his usage of her for his own personal representation against the Board. She has interrupted our meeting once and a point of order was taken by the International rep who unexpectedly attended our meeting. He made a motion to have them all excused while he spoke directly to the Board and proceeded with an "informational presentation" of our job duties. This was not on our agenda for our meeting.

I'm thinking the annoyance is really a disturbance considering what follows after the hyphen. I'm just wandering if the chair can kick out someone who's sitting there not making a peep on his own authority......I really don't know. *edit* - But I think the answer is, no.

I think now you are probably right, George. RONR,p.644, ll.29-34 says non-members can be excluded at any time from part or all of a meeting, and that such exclusion can be effected by a ruling of the chair in cases of disorder (my italics). Otherwise it is by a rule or appropriate motion. So, I hereby withdraw my previous conclusion.

Archived